Thursday, April 30, 2020

April 30, 2020 Update

Well - it is the last day of April 2020.  This is a month that I hope I don't ever have to repeat.  Obviously, the world has changed a lot this month.  I also helped my son and his family move yesterday - a long, exhausting day to be sure.  And with the new month comes some big changes in how we live - starting to get back to a semblance of normal over the next while.

Today also brought a nice lunchtime break to watch the Air Force fighters fly over the state in a tribute to first responders, health care workers and all those on the front lines of the pandemic.  Bob Trombly in Legal sent me some great photos of the event, including this one.  It was a moment to feel proud of all our employees who are also on the front lines.



Coronavirus Stats


Nationally:  1,005,147 cases with 57,505 fatalities

Utah:
Utah County:  957 cases; 44 hospitalizations; 7 fatalities

News You Can Use

  • Tuesday, I welcomed a new police officer who was highlighted in social media.  But we have several other new employees in our midst.  A special welcome to new Fire Department employees Morgan Wade, Joseph Gordon, Bryce Baldwin, Nicolas Marsella, Austin Svenson, David Spenst and Spencer Harrison.
  • I gave a bad link in the last Daily Update for ordering masks for your family from the State. The correct link is coronavirus.utah.gov/mask.
  • The City and the Library have been working with Red Cross to host some blood drives at the Provo City Library - even though the building is currently otherwise closed to the public.  If you are healthy and would like to volunteer to give blood, the need is great.  Click here to search for a blood drive near us, including those in early May at the Library.

The Mayor's Day

Wednesday and Thursday, Mayor Kaufusi:
  • Met with County Clerk Amelia Powers to discuss upcoming primary and general elections
  • Met with the Utah League of Cities and Towns Board of Directors
  • Met with several restaurant owners to discuss their reopening strategies
  • Met with the city's directors to discuss the city's plans to slowly begin reopening city facilities next week in response to the State's directives
  • Met with other mayors in Utah County regarding their responses to the pandemic

Fun Stuff

Finally, I mentioned earlier that I really like jazz and big band music, and among my favorite groups is Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.  They actually played a show a few years ago at the Covey Center and we got to meet several members of the band.  They recently released a special recording of their classic Zig Zaggity Woop Woop done entirely virtually.  Enjoy a few minutes of really fun jazz/big band (with a liberal dose of Dixieland) on me.


Have a great weekend.  We'll see you next week with some more details about our reopening of city facilities and our proposed FY 2021 budget.  Take care and stay safe.

Wayne

2 comments:

  1. Even though Karyn has effectively demonstrated that my musical taste lacks the range that graces yours, I also like swing and big band. Do you like Squirrel Nut Zippers? They are probably my second favorite band all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - that's a challenge for me to accept. I don't know the band but I will definitely check them out.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...