Wednesday, September 30, 2020

September 30, 2020 Update

It is Wednesday!  That makes it a good day.  Well - last night's Presidential debate was disheartening to me.  Whichever candidate you support (if either of them), I think we can all agree that it was a major lost opportunity to hear what the candidates think about the serious issues we are confronting.   What a contrast to the Utah governor's race debate the hour before.  Both Spencer Cox and Chris Peterson stuck to the issues, treated the issues (and each other) with respect, and avoided personal invective.  Once again, Utah has a thing or two to teach the rest of the Country about how to handle important issues, recognizing that people can have different approaches and still work together to find solutions.

Last post about the ICMA award (I think).  I wanted to share a photo with you.  I came into the office early Monday morning and found it filled with balloons and little affirming messages taped to the wall.  I thought I would share the photo and let you know how lucky I feel to work with such an amazing team here in the Mayor's Office and throughout the City.  Amber and I had fun popping dozens of balloons as well (and trying not to be too loud about it) once I had enjoyed the moment!  



CORONAVIRUS STATS

Nationally, the CDC reports 7,168,077 cases with 205,372 fatalities.
Utah:  73,042 cases (up 906 from yesterday); 3,847 hospitalizations; 459 deaths (up 2 from yesterday)
Utah County:  19,360 cases (up 314 from yesterday); 661 hospitalizations; 57 deaths (no change from yesterday)

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • As I'm sure most of you know, we have been hard at work transitioning Provo back to Orange per the governor. The Daily Herald wrote an article recognizing our efforts to make this a smooth and quick transition.
  • In case you were thinking of having one last lake day before the cold weather really sets in, the Utah County Health Department issued a "danger advisory" after finding toxic algae concentrations seven times higher than the threshold for safe recreation.
  • United Way is making preparations for Sub for Santa already! Their volunteer process is going to look different this year, with drive through interviews for the volunteers.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA








THE MAYOR'S DAY

Today, Mayor Kaufusi:

  • Met with citizens concerned about preserving foothills
  • Met with the Assistant CAO
  • Met with the City PIO
  • Met with staff about the Airport terminal and other airport issues
  • Worked with staff on issues related to proposed new developments
  • Discussed some changes being proposed for 200 East
  • Met with the new Miss Provo royalty
  • Prepared for the events tomorrow related to the mask educational campaign - watch for some fun announcements tomorrow

FUN STUFF


Sometimes dealing with upset people can feel like this, but thanks for handling it like champs and hopefully with fewer tears!


A little Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is always a welcome thing!  Have a great rest of your day - and thanks again for all you do!

Wayne


2 comments:

  1. One of the best and funniest film clips ever. Thanks, Wayne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night's presidential debate seemed to me to feature one candidate obfuscating about any clear policy direction, steering the conversation off course, and generally being belligerent and uncivil. That made it hard for the other to get a word in about his actual substantive plans.

    I missed the gubernatorial debate but am looking forward to watching it after the fact. Thank goodness for technology!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...