Thursday, August 12, 2021

August 12 2021 Update

It has been a slightly quieter day than the rest of this week, which is good because I have a big project I am working on that needed some focused attention.  I'm likely not to get it finished today and may be in for a bit tomorrow, but it has been good to just close the door and focus. 
 
As mentioned below, the first of the 2020 Census data was made available today.  The focus of this release is assisting with the congressional redistricting, but it will also have impacts later as we redistrict city council and school district board seats.  Official numbers for Provo specifically will follow soon. 


 


UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

The Diaries of Adam and Eve I July 29 - August 21
Cool Science: Ice Cream Demonstration I August 10 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Learn It: Canning 101 I August 10 7:00 - 8:30 pm
Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I August 12 6:30 - 7:00 pm
Crochet Club: Bags I August 12 7:00 - 8:00 pm
Tween Academy: Jade Mountain Academy I August 21 11:00 - 1:00 pm
Provo City Library Writing Group I August 21 1:00 - 2:00 pm
Rock The Canyon I August 28 4:00 pm - 8:00pm
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22

YOUR VOICE

One more reminder if you haven't, to check out this section (on the right -->) where we will include polls and questions for you, as well as a form where you can highlight a coworker or tell us about what you do for the city! This can range from new babies or weddings to just wanting to give a shout-out to a fellow employee. Fill out the questions on the right, then upload pictures for us to share using the link below!  We will post your responses in upcoming editions of the update.



NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • A 28,000 year-old frozen cave lion cub was found frozen deep in the Siberian Arctic. This species is extinct and is in remarkably good condition - even her whiskers are intact.
  • Governor Cox's name change demand from an anonymous constituent goes national, as seen in The Hill, The New York Post and The Washington Times. Was the demand a joke? Probably.
  • Census info is being released today, kicking off a shortened redistricting timeline. The results are expected to show an aging, diversifying nation, with the first drop in white population, ever.   
  • Utah County now has the state’s worst coronavirus outbreaks — but also the fastest-rising vaccination rates. None of the county’s communities has even half of their populations fully vaccinated.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA





MAYOR'S WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

The Mayor is a member of a regional committee (Wasatch Front counties) focused on improving access to "active transportation," meaning human powered - walking, biking, hiking, skateboarding, etc.  The committee meets monthly to discuss ways to enhance the active transportation network along the Wasatch range.  This week, the mayor and the active transportation committee discussed various efforts at long-range planning and the efforts to fund ongoing maintenance of trails that cross through various jurisdictions.

The week she was also was a keynote speaker at the Ella Rises summer camp.  Ella Rises is an organization in our community that works with Latina youth to help them build skills, confidence and their educational achievement.  



FUN STUFF

This week's favorite internet memes.











I hope you have a great weekend - thanks for helping make Provo the awesome community it is.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...