Thursday, April 21, 2022

April 21 2022 Update

Back in the office today after a great three day conference in St. George.  The conference ended up with some very interesting roundtable discussions.  The ones I attended were on good strategies for preparing and dealing with protests and civil disobedience, retaining your positive outlook in the face of criticism. and best practices in employee recognition.  All great topics and very timely for today.

In the session on keeping a positive outlook, I shared an experience I had a couple of years ago.  I was in an interview with a BYU student writer doing a profile piece after I was recognized by my professional association and was asked to describe my job in 5 words or less.  That was a tough one, but I had a little stroke of inspiration and I told her that my job is to be the "chief quality of life officer" for the City.  That idea frequently comes back to me when I hear people say how much they love living in Provo, and I think about being part of a city employee team that makes life better every day in our community.  It is easy to keep a positive attitude when we think about improving life for our residents.  Thanks for undertaking that mission with me.

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I April 21 6:30 pm
Make Your Own Stress Ball I April 26 7:00 pm
Courtyard Book Sale I April 30 11:00 am
Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • For the 15th year in a row, Utah has again been ranked top of the U.S. for its economic forecast. As it has for the last 14 years, Utah is again the No. 1 state in the nation for its economic outlook, according to the American Legislative Exchange Council
  • Researchers have created a cell atlas for a key region of the brain involved in reinforcing addictive behaviors. They believe it may help lead to new treatments for substance abuse disorders.
  • Ever wondered how much radiation your smart phone is emitting? A ranking of the top 10 phones with the highest and lowest radiation levels has been released.
  • The U.S. has made more than a million arrests at the U.S.-Mexico border since October, the fastest pace of illegal border crossings in at least the last two decades, according to new data released Monday by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

MAYOR'S WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

This week Mayor's highlight was getting to attend the ULCT Spring Conference in St. George!  The mayor is one of two vice presidents of the League of Cities and Towns Board, and this mid-year conference is a good opportunity to connect with other elected officials and to better understand the vast number of issues that are impacting cities across the state.  

FUN STUFF

This week's favorite Internet memes.













I hope you enjoy your weekend.  Have a little fun and stay healthy and safe.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...