Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Tuesday April 19 2022 Update

It is another beautiful day in St. George.  A bit windy, as it so frequently is here in the spring.  But it was nice to be up early for a short walk before sitting in training for 8 hours!  The conference started yesterday with a presentation on some new state mandates related to water conservation, and especially around cities with pressurized irrigation services, which Provo doesn’t have.  But it was helpful to see what other cities are doing to meet the new state mandates.  Another presentation was from an attorney who represents cities in personnel-related cases.  She went into detail about a couple of cases with kind of unique fact patterns, including a case that I knew quite a bit about that had a relationship to an incident in Provo, even though the person who filed the suit was not our employee.  But it reminded us of the importance of following best practices.  And of listening to our excellent human resources and legal teams as we make decisions.

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Mad Science: Spin, Pop, Boom! I April 18 7:00 pm
Crochet Basics I April 19 6:30 pm
Crochet Club: Crochet Samplers I April 19 7:00 pm
Paint Night I April 19 7:00 pm
CSYP's Suessical Jr. I April 19 7:00 pm
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I April 21 6:30 pm
Make Your Own Stress Ball I April 26 7:00 pm
Courtyard Book Sale I April 30 11:00 am
Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Some big news today. The U.S. will no longer require masks on airplanes, trains after a federal judge overturned the federal mask mandate. Some airlines announced the change mid-flight. The CDC is still recommending that people mask voluntarily.
  • Teachers across the U.S. are seeing the largest pay raises that they have had in decades.
  • Construction site theft is getting worse. Building boom and supply scarcity has caused theft to become ‘progressively worse and more brazen’ 
  • Scientists have identified a single molecule linking bacterial exposure to the triggering of a severe form of asthma.
  • The UHP troopers made 49 traffic stops in 2 days on vehicles speeding over 100 mph. 
  • Our country saw three mass shootings in three days, two in South Carolina and one in Pittsburgh. They left two dead and a total of 31 injured, each was attributed to personal conflicts or altercations.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

TUESDAY TIP


Meaningful feedback loops address specific questions and welcome information from key stakeholders so that leaders can "make strategic decisions based on the multiple information streams you've established," writes Mike Allen, founder and CEO of Podcast Post Production and Solo Social Marketing. Not every feedback loop is right for every situation, so create feedback loops that match your circumstances and preferences, Allen adds.

FUN STUFF

I am a sucker for older movies, especially musicals.  One of my all time favorites is Singin’ in the Rain - but for me it is way more about Donald O’Connor than Gene Kelly.  The music is extraordinary and the comedy is first rate.  This little music video from Derek and Julianne Hough - who have ties to Provo - highlights the songs and scenes I love - and Julianne does a mean Donald O’Connor!


Hope you have a great day.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...