Tuesday, June 14, 2022

June 14, 2022 Update

As mentioned yesterday, today is kind of a milestone with the Daily Update.  It is hard to believe that this is our 400th edition.  It is a little bittersweet to think about moving to a new, less frequent format, but I really feel like focusing more on the work of the city in general and the Mayor's office specifically will have some significant benefits to all of us as employees.  

I had the pleasure of interacting last week with former Mayor Jim Ferguson - who was the first Provo mayor I had met about 40 years ago - and with my predecessor as CAO, Bob Stockwell.  We will be hosting them the week after next for a walk through of the new building and maybe the airport terminal, and have a chance to connect with them again.  There may not be anyone here that remembers working with Mayor Ferguson but there are still quite a few with the city who remember Bob.  



Thinking about the number 400, there are a few notable things that are about 400 years old.  Those include:  slide rules, compound microscopes and Cornish Yarg cheese.  So today, 400 is my favorite number (even though I have no idea what Cornish Yarg cheese is).  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Movies in the Park: Sing 2 I June 13 8:00 pm
Teen Lock-In I June 14 8:00 pm
Movies in the Park: Hercules I June 20 8:00 pm
Provo Market I June 23 10:00 am
Ukulele for Teens I June 23 7:00 pm
Crochet Club I June 23 7:00 pm
The Tom Proctor Band I June 24 7:30 pm
Ammon and Liahona I June 25 6:00 pm
Motown & More I July 1 7:30 pm
No Pressure Book Group I July 5 7:00 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Today is National Flag Day!
  • The Nature Conservancy and the Utah Office of Tourism have partnered to launch a digital guide to encourage visits to the Great Salt Lake - with ideas on helping the Lake recover. 
  • Veteran actor Philip Baker Hall, who lent his gravitas to everything from “Seinfeld” to numerous Paul Thomas Anderson films including “Magnolia” and “Boogie Nights,” has died at age 90.
  • US stocks fell into bear market territory yesterday after the S&P 500 dropped more than 20% from an all-time high in January (see 101). Investors are wary of an economic downturn, analysts say, after Friday's higher-than-expected inflation report showed inflation hit 8.6% in May—the highest year-over-year growth since December 1981.
  • Amazon plans to launch its first commercial drone delivery program later this year in the town of Lockeford, California, the company announced yesterday.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

TUESDAY TIP

How a bad job led this CEO to create good ones 

The downsides of an early job taught Alex Mortman, founder and CEO of JDA TSG, the importance of valuing employees and creating a vibrant culture that provides motivation for success. "Leaders should share with their teams the experiences that shape their perspective, so the team can trust the organization is headed in the right direction," Mortman says.

FUN STUFF

So, not quite sure how this happened without my seeing it, but one of our hometown celebrities, Donny Osmond, surprised actress Jennifer Garner on her 50th birthday.  You gotta love this video, and it says a lot about Donny that he honored the lifelong wish of one of his biggest fans.  




Thanks for all you do!  

Wayne

1 comment:

  1. I started here in Provo when Mayor Ferguson was mayor, I believe. It has been awhile.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...