Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Welcome to the Daily Updates

In an effort to better reach out to our city employees during the Covid19 Pandemic, I wanted to create a platform to check in daily with you, share updates on the pandemic's impact on Provo, connect you with information, and hopefully add a bit of light in an otherwise heavy series of challenges.

I am hoping to keep things light and personal, but also to give you reliable information about what is going on in Provo and in the city organization.  Please also know that this little blog will likely evolve over time, but I am going with the idea that it is better to start soon rather than waiting until everything is perfect.

So, here we go!

Current Stats on the CoronaVirus

  • United States:  Total cases: 186,101; total deaths: 3,603
  • Utah: Total cases:  1,012; total Utah tests:  20,155; total hospitalizations:  97; total deaths: 7 
  • Utah County: Total cases: 91

News Updates

  • Governor Herbert has announced the following executive orders:
    • Renters can defer their rent payments until May 15; no evictions can begin in Utah before that date
    • State parks are only open to residents of the county in which the park is located; all others will be turned away. 
  • You may have seen some tents being erected on the north end of the Provo Towne Centre Mall.  This will be the site of a Covid-19 drive through testing site that will be operational on Thursday.  The project is an initiative of Silicon Slopes and will be an appointment only sample collection site.  Those wishing to be tested can go to www.testutah.com to go through a screening process.  If a visitor qualifies, they will give the site their information and then get an appointment for the drive through sample collection process.  Samples will then be processed at the lab at Timpanogos Regional Hospital in Orem and then the results communicated with the person and with the State Health Department.  

Provo City Leave Policy

As you may know, the federal government has adopted several new laws related to employee leave due to the pandemic.  We have been working on some amendments to city policy related to sick leave, family medical leave and other leave standards to make sure we are complying with or exceeding the federal standards.  That document is in final review and should be signed by the Mayor shortly.  As soon as it is ready, you should see it in your email box.  After you review the policy, if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to HR.

Provo Social Media Today

  • Mayor Kaufusi recently launched some "Conversations with Kaufusi" that are featuring how city departments are responding to the pandemic.  The latest one was with Fire Chief Jim Miguel.
  •  We also want to remind you that today is Census Day 2020.  If you haven't yet completed the Census for your family, jump in at www.my2020census.gov and get started.  It only takes a few minutes but has a big impact on Provo and the community in which you live. 

Fun Things

  • A few of you may know that I have a little bit of an eclectic taste in music.  My general tastes tend to anything with good instrumentals, especially jazz and big band.  So gimme a little Chicago, Billy Joel or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy any day.  One group I have recently come to enjoy is called The Roots; they are the stage band that performs with Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show.  Last week, the Roots and Jimmy Fallon did a virtual number on the Tonight Show with each musician playing from home.  If you enjoy that sort of thing, check out the video of their cover of Stuck in the Middle With You. 


 Finally

I love all the Corona Virus Memes out there of late, but here is one that I hope you will check out and take seriously.  We can all be carriers of something other than the Corona Virus.



Talk with you tomorrow.  Please feel free to leave a comment or suggestion.

Wayne

7 comments:

  1. Karyn! Eclectic music tastes. Perhaps we should ask Wayne how much rap he enjoys? If the answer is none, I claim victory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a huge rap fan, but I occasionally add Ludacris, Nelly, or Bubba Sparxxx to the playlist. :)

      Delete
    2. Karyn wins. My tastes are not eclectic after all.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Wayne. Very informative and I also enjoy The Roots. I am teleworking too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for giving such a balanced report. There is a lot of good out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayne, I didn't know you were a Billy Joel fan! Me too!

    This is a great idea and I am looking forward to your posts. Thanks for your great leadership and friendship. We are lucky to call you our colleague.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...