Well, everyone - thanks for your emails and comments on our very first edition of the daily update. I should first answer a couple of questions that surfaced in comments and in my email.
First, picking my favorite Billy Joel song is tough. My real favorite is probably Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, but I also love Uptown Girl and It's Still Rock and Roll to Me.
My favorite Jazz artists are Miles Davis, George Benson, Spyro Gyra, Herbie Hancock and Thelonious Monk.
OK -on to the more serious stuff.
The Stats on Covid-19
National Stats: Total cases: 238,820; Total deaths: 5,750
Utah Stats:
Utah County Stats: Total Cases: 105; Hospitalizations: 11
News Summary
- As reported here yesterday, the first Covid-19 sample gathering site in Provo opened this morning in the north parking lot of the Provo Towne Centre Mall. At the Governor's daily briefing today, the partnership between the State and Silicon Slopes was announced. The Governor is hoping that all Utah residents (whether they are symptomatic or not) will go to www.testutah.com and take the risk assessment survey for Covid-19. If a resident who takes the survey meets the criteria for testing, he or she will be scheduled for a free test. But even if not, the data will help inform public health officials in a way that will help them find hot spots in the state.
- About 28,000 Utah residents filed for unemployment last week. For the last two weeks, more Utahns filed for unemployment than did for the entire year of 2019. I suspect everyone has someone they know whose job has been impacted by the pandemic. It is a tough time for many of our family, friends and neighbors. It is a good time to reach out and help where needed.
Provo City News
- I wrote yesterday about the new leave policy. The Department of Labor issued some guidance late yesterday that might have an impact on the draft policy; we are reviewing that this afternoon and should have the final policy out no later than tomorrow morning. Again, once you see the modified policy, please reach out to HR with questions.
- Today, the City announced a new activity to help support many of the City's restaurants who are really struggling right now. It is called Takeout Bingo and you can learn more and get what you need for the challenge on the Mayor's blog. Those who submit entries electronically will be entered into a drawing for some great prizes.
Provo Social Media
- Tonight is Provo Recreation's Cyber Talent Show, being livestreamed on Facebook at 7 pm.
- Provo Public Works reminds us that "toilets are not trash cans." I guess the hoarding of toilet paper by some has led some to use non-flushable ways to replace it by others. This leads to big problems for the sewer system.
- It is Provo Power's 80th birthday this week. Congrats. It is a great success story - we honor the visionary city leaders at the time who created such an amazing legacy.
Fun Stuff
The teleworking thing leaves a lot to be desired. Nicole Martin sent me a link to this video that says a lot about how my Zoom and Team meetings have been going the last couple of weeks. My guess is that others can relate.
Finally, I was in one of those Zoom meetings this afternoon and one of the participants (who shall remain nameless) had her dog on her lap. My dog comes into the home office - which doubles as a guest bedroom - periodically for meetings. This is Molly - she is a 3 year old Goldendoodle. Julie loves her when her fur is long, but she is a bear to brush when her coat is this long. And she needs the grooming every day.
Hope everyone has a great weekend. Listen to some good music. Take a social distancing walk or hike. Help someone nearby who needs an encouraging word or an act of kindness. And feel free to leave a comment or suggestion! Stay safe and well!




Herbie Hancock? I am duly impressed.
ReplyDeleteClassic jazz is my favorite. But there are some new artists that I am starting to enjoy as well.
ReplyDeleteCute dog. I had to turn off the sound during leadership today when our new red miniature golden doodle began wrestling with our mature red healer. I couldn't hear myself think much less talk. And I get visited by my 22 year old 4 year old anytime I have a meeting that starts before her nanny arrives. Fun stuff. I sure miss bumping into our colleagues at the office.
ReplyDelete