Monday, May 11, 2020

May 11, 2020 Update

Happy Day after Mother's Day!  Kind of a quiet celebration this year compared to past years.  But we heard from all of our kids and grandkids this year, so it was a great day for Julie.  And we enjoyed our first barbeque this year - marinated pork chops, with potato salad and veggies.  Nice to get out and grill again!

Coronavirus Stats

National:  1,300,696 cases with 78,771 fatalities.
Utah: 6,362 cases; 517 hospitalizations; 68 fatalities
Utah County:  1,358 cases; 78 hospitalizations; 11 fatalities

On a side note, Julie and I went for Covid-19 tests on Friday because we live in the targeted 84606 zip code.  It was not a pleasant experience.  I had no idea that my nasal passages went that far into my head.  I fortunately tested negative, but I am really motivated to stay well so that I don't have to have a test if I am symptomatic.

News You Can Use

  • Major League Baseball is getting ready to announce an 82 game season for MLB teams, which would play limited opponents with spring training starting in June.  Games would be played without spectators at the outset, with potentially more fans attending as the season wears on.  Maybe my Royals will a better post-season opportunity this year.  
  • The City is exploring some new limits on development in the Provo foothills.  The Council held a town hall meeting last Thursday evening, and the Planning Commission will be considering a new foothills preservation ordinance this week.

Provo Social Media




  • The FAA awarded Provo an additional $9 million in grant funds toward the Provo airport terminal expansion. We are excited for the additional funding that gets us closer to getting the terminal under construction later this year.
  • Provo was also named one of the Digital Inclusion Trailblazer Cities - a high honor award for our IT team, in partnership with United Way and Google Fiber.  We are one of only 14 cities across the country to win this designation.

The Budget

I apologize that there was a glitch in the email announcement of my blog post on Wednesday last week where I talked in detail about the Mayor's recommended budget that was presented to the Council last Wednesday.  If you missed the post, you can click here for a look at the update and the details on the budget.

Fun Stuff

Finally, we have this interesting little video wondering what life would be like if the cast of Disney's Beauty and the Beast were in quarantine mode.


Thanks for dropping by today.  Talk with you again tomorrow!

Wayne

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...