Another very busy day in the Mayor's Office today. There are a lot of things going on that the pandemic hasn't seemed to slow down, like the Provo River Delta Restoration Project which has huge implications for the river, Utah Lake and the Airport. While we do spend a lot of time putting out metaphorical fires (like a large sewer backup today), we also try to keep looking 20-30 years down the road and trying to make good things happen in Provo that will bear fruit down the road.
CORONAVIRUS STATS
Nationally, the CDC reports 2,302,288 cases with 120,333 fatalities.
Utah: 18,300 cases (up 394 from yesterday); 1,226 hospitalizations; 163 deaths (up 5 from yesterday)
Utah County: 3,355 cases (up 92 from yesterday); 171 hospitalizations; 22 deaths (up 1 from yesterday)
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- The city of Taylorsville has sent a letter stating their plans to leave the Unified Police Department at the end of June 2021, when the city plans to form its own police department.
- The Applied Science building at Salt Lake Community College's Taylorsville campus caught fire last night. No injuries were reported, and it was reported that no one was in the building when the fire started.
- As you may have heard, state epidemiologist, Dr Angela Dunn write a memo to state and local leaders on Friday, emphasizing that if the COVID-19 cases continue to increase, the state may need to move back to orange, or moderate risk phase. She also re-emphasized the importance of wearing face masks. Governor Herbert tweeted his response: "Dr. Dunn’s internal memo raises alarm about the increasing COVID-19 cases in Utah. I appreciate her analysis and share many of her concerns. We will work to stem this tide, but I have no plans to shut down Utah’s economy," Herbert's tweet stated. "I urge Utahns to protect themselves and their loved ones from the spread of the virus by following our common sense guidelines for social distancing, good hand hygiene and especially the use of face coverings."
THE MAYOR'S DAY
Today, Mayor Kaufusi:
- Took a group photo with the Parks and Rec Department employees
- Met with Council Members
- Met with Chief Ferguson
- Represented Utah County in a COVID-19 Recovery meeting
- Met with the Executive team
FUN STUFF
2 Truths and a Lie: Mayor's Office Edition
This Week: CAO Wayne Parker
1. I have worked for ten different mayors in my career. -- TRUTH
2. I played trombone in my high school marching band. -- LIE
3. I resigned under pressure from a city management job early in my career. -- TRUTH
So, I played clarinet and sax (not trombone) in the high school bands - but just for 2 years. I got engaged in student government and had to give up my musical electives. But it probably explains my affinity for jazz and big band music. The high school band teacher played trumpet with Tommy Dorsey's band, so there is that. ...
And if you don't know Tommy Dorsey's big band, here is quick listen to The Dipsy Doodle on YouTube.
Thanks again for being such a big part of everything good in Provo. You help make this community the remarkable place that it is.
Wayne
2. I played trombone in my high school marching band. -- LIE
3. I resigned under pressure from a city management job early in my career. -- TRUTH
So, I played clarinet and sax (not trombone) in the high school bands - but just for 2 years. I got engaged in student government and had to give up my musical electives. But it probably explains my affinity for jazz and big band music. The high school band teacher played trumpet with Tommy Dorsey's band, so there is that. ...
And if you don't know Tommy Dorsey's big band, here is quick listen to The Dipsy Doodle on YouTube.
Thanks again for being such a big part of everything good in Provo. You help make this community the remarkable place that it is.
Wayne

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.