Wednesday, November 4, 2020

November 4, 2020 Update

This is the first national election I can remember where we didn't know the outcome of many races a full day after the election.  The good news is that whichever party prevails in the presidential race, the U.S. House and Senate and state races, most of those I know who are in elective office have profound respect for the opportunity to serve and for the institutions in which they serve.  

I have worked closely over my career with 10 mayors, over 100 city council members, many, many state legislators and a couple of governors (and a current congressman), and I can say virtually all of them have been motivated by the right values, have the best interest of their constituents at heart, and are willing to find ways to get things done.  Those who are not so motivated are the exception, not the rule.  So, it's good to be patient while we wait for clarity on winners and losers, and it's also good to recognize that we citizens are usually pretty well served by those we elect to serve us.  

CORONAVIRUS STATS

Nationally, the CDC reports 9,357,245 cases with 231,988 fatalities.
Utah:  121,485 cases (up 2,110 from yesterday); 5,755 hospitalizations; 625 deaths (up 5 from yesterday)
Utah County:  31,502 cases (up 407 from yesterday); 1,050 hospitalizations; 86 deaths (up 2 from yesterday)

NEWS YOU CAN USE

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA








THE MAYOR'S DAY

Today, Mayor Kaufusi:

  • Met with the City Ombudsman
  • Held a meeting with representatives from the Legal Department
  • Participated in an MPO meeting
  • Recorded a video for a virtual Veteran's Day
  • Participated in badge pinning for the Fire Department
  • Met with several neighborhood chairs in Provo

FUN STUFF


In honor of an electorate strongly divided on the issues and on their own philosophies of government, this little Studio C sketch seems appropriate.  And it was pretty fun too. 


Thanks again for all you do!  Have a great rest of your day!

Wayne




1 comment:

  1. I remember there being a lot of uncertainty about the outcome of the 2000 presidential election with no definite outcome until after the Florida recount. I think having vote-by-mail for all of our recent municipal elections has tempered my former expectation of having results on Election Day, since I've better come to understand the process and the time it can take before the Board of Canvassers certifies local results.

    I love your perspective, Wayne——"most of those I know who are in elective office have profound respect for the opportunity to serve and for the institutions in which they serve." I have likewise found this to be true in most cases!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...