Tuesday, April 27, 2021

April 27, 2021 Update

First of all, we want to share some very sad and tragic news from our office.  Josh Paxman, the son of our deputy mayor Isaac Paxman passed away yesterday from a sudden onset cardiac arrest.  Our hearts are broken along with Isaac and Liz and their family.  We send our love and wishes for peace at a very difficult time for our dear friends.


Our meetings in Fort Collins yesterday went extremely well.  They provided some really important insights for our team on issues like parking management and enforcement, sustainability, economic development, downtown redevelopment, communications, citizen engagement and more.  When they heard about many of the good things happening in Provo, they were anxious to bring their team here, maybe next year after our city hall and public safety projects are open and operational.  Their city offices are scattered among a dozen buildings in their downtown and beyond, which makes things especially hard to manage.  I don't envy them for their situation!  But in so many ways, they are one of the most innovative and best managed cities in the country and we found lots of things that were good models for us to follow.  

CORONAVIRUS STATS

Nationally, the CDC reports 31,883,289 cases with 569,272 fatalities.
Utah:  396,004 cases (up 327 from yesterday); 16,102 hospitalizations; 2,186 deaths (up 3 from yesterday)
Utah County: 94,999 cases (up 67 from yesterday); 2,597 hospitalizations; 375 deaths (no change from yesterday)

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • The results from the 2020 census are in, and Utah is the fastest-growing state in the country over the past 10 years. However, we weren't quite big enough to gain another seat in congress.
  • The use of social media in politics is on the rise! Washington is harnessing the power of social media to gain a louder voice and followers
  • Salt Lake City's GREENbike is now offering a discounted $1 annual pass to all essential workers in 2021.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA








THE MAYOR'S DAY

Today, Mayor Kaufusi:

  • Was out of the office

FUN STUFF

So several years ago I fell in love with a lot of the music of U2.  This little cover of the U2 classic "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by Peter Hollens, the Hollens Family Choir, and the group Home Free is one I found recently and I have really enjoyed.  It was done during Covid, so it is all virtual, which always impresses me.  


Sorry to have needed to start this post with some sad news, but I wanted you to know, and hope you will reach out in love and support to Isaac, Liz and their family.  Life is fragile and takes some very unexpected turns.  Maybe make sure you hug someone tonight that you love!  

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...