Thursday, July 29, 2021

July 29, 2021 Update

The "opening monologue" for today's update is a bit more serious than usual.  It has been fascinating for me to watch the ongoing drama around Simone Biles and the Tokyo Olympics.   As you have certainly heard by now, Simone, who is arguably the greatest gymnast of all times, withdrew from competition, at least for a time, due to mental health concerns.  As is often the case with things like this, there are strong and polarizing opinions about her decision to pull back.  To her credit, she has been the biggest cheerleader for the remaining members of the US women's gymnastic team as they have moved through the competition - she has supported her team as best she could given the circumstances.  



But wherever you fall on the spectrum of opinion, there is a vital message in the experience.  When we feel the weight of the world on our shoulders, some time out and self-care might be in order.  I can remember times in my life when I struggled with self-worth or under enormous pressure, whether of my own causing or not.  It can really be debilitating if we aren't dealing with it in a healthy manner.  

I thought I would share some resources available from the City and in our community for dealing with mental health issues - from depression and anxiety to exhaustion and ideas of self-harm.  If you are feeling stressed or anxious beyond your personal ability to cope in a healthy way, check out some of these resources.  There is no shame in seeking help when you need it.

  • Behavioral Health Care Options is the City's employee assistance program.  One call can get you started down a more positive path.
  • Mental Health Matters is a great resource for evaluating your current mental or behavioral health issues and learning more.  
  • Download the 211 Utah app on your Android or Apple device so get instant access to services in our community. 
  • You can also just dial 211 from your phone to get connected to resources.
  • If you or someone in your circle is feeling suicidal thoughts, call the Lifeline at 800-273-8255 or visit the Utah Suicide Prevention website.   

Your mental health is important to all of us.  And thanks for listening.  :)

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

The Diaries of Adam and Eve I July 29 - August 21
Paint Night I August 3 7:00 pm
Recipe Swap: Breakfast I August 4 7:00 - 8:00 pm
Intro to Studio Production I August 4 7:00 - 8:00 pm
Cool Science: Ice Cream Demonstration I August 10 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Learn It: Canning 101 I August 10 7:00 - 8:30 pm
Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I August 12 6:30 - 7:00 pm
Crochet Club: Bags I August 12 7:00 - 8:00 pm
Rock The Canyon I August 28 4:00 pm - 8:00pm
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Today is National Intern Day! Thank you to all of our wonderful interns who help us run smoother and function better as a city. We couldn't do it without you! 
  • Olympic Medal Count Update: US: 37, China: 29, ROC: 26, Japan: 25, Australia: 20.
  • The dust storm that killed 8 people on I-15 recently is the second deadliest storm in Utah since 1950. The deadliest was a flash flood in 2015.
  • Avelo airlines is coming to Provo in September! Their first flight is set to depart September 17th.
  • A new heat wave is coming to Utah, and it's going to be a brutal one.
  • The drought isn't only affecting us as humans, Antelope Island's herds are struggling as the Great Salt Lake shrinks to 170-year low this year.

YOUR VOICE

One of the ideas that came through the earlier survey was the desire to make the update more interactive.  So, today we are asking you to check out this section (on the right -->) where we will include polls and questions for you, as well as a form where you can highlight a coworker or tell us about what you do for the city! This can range from new babies or weddings to just wanting to give a shout-out to a fellow employee. Fill out the questions on the right, then upload pictures for us to share using the link below!  We will post your responses in upcoming editions of the update.  


PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA






MAYOR'S WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

Mayors, county commissioners, Utah chambers, county councils, and other leaders of organizations all over Utah voted unanimously for Mayor Kaufusi to serve as the Chair of the Economic Recovery and Resilience Committee. This committee will decide how to best utilize several millions of dollars and is designed to address the economic impact of Covid-19 and help Utah to not only survive, but thrive economically as we continue to face the challenges that the future brings. This is a big honor and Mayor is excited to take on this new challenge. Rest assured, she is representing our city well!

FUN STUFF

This week's collection of favorite memes, for your weekend pondering pleasure.  








I hope you have a great weekend and that you can find time to decompress, maybe catch up on some sleep, or just get out (when it is cool) and enjoy some nature time.  

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...