Thursday, August 26, 2021

August 26 2021 Update

I think we are all alarmed and heartsick about the events in Afghanistan, especially after this morning's terrorist attack at the Kabul airport.  The fact that we have Americans and American service people killed is terrible, and that many Afghan citizens hoping to evacuate to freedom elsewhere are victims is so disheartening.  I hope we find ways to reach out to those who have been victims, and also to provide support for the refugees who eventually become residents of Utah.   We can all find a way to do something, however small.  If nothing else, these events remind us that life is precious, and we could probably do more to stay close to those we love.

We also announced this week that we have asked Bill Peperone to serve as the director of both Development Services and Community and Neighborhood Services Departments, and Keith Morey to serve as the deputy director of Development Services through the transition as Gary McGinn leaves as our CNS director next week.  The Administration will be watching carefully over the next few months as the transition progresses and further evaluate as time moves forward.  Thanks to Bill and Keith for stepping up to the plate, and thanks to Gary McGinn for more than 26 years of service to the City and its residents.

On a lighter note, Saturday is the City's free Rock the Canyon Event at Rock Canyon Park from 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.  There will be lots of free activities, and many booths, including those run by our city departments.  I hope you can stop by and enjoy a little time outside celebrating the end of summer with likely thousands of Provo neighbors.




UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

1820 The Musical I August 6 - September 11
Rock The Canyon I August 28 4:00 pm - 8:00pm
Lunchbox Hacks I September 1 7:00 pm
Provo City Library Writing Group I September 4 1:00 - 2:00 pm
The Alibis I September 30 - October 23
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22

NEWS YOU CAN USE


YOUR VOICE

We want to hear from you! Share with us your happy news on the right (-->) and we will keep sharing them weekly!


PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA






MAYOR'S WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

This week the Mayor attended city council meetings and met with the Council chair, vice chair and city staff.  She also attended the new SharedSolar Project open house in Spanish Fork, met with the new president of the Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine, and briefed city employees on the transition in the Community and Neighborhood Services and Development Services Department.  All this among responding to lots of other phone calls, texts and emails from Provo residents and attending other meetings has kept her very busy this week - like every week.  

FUN STUFF

Here are the weekly Internet memes.  Enjoy!










I hope you have a great weekend.  Looking forward to seeing you at Rock the Canyon!

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...