Wednesday, August 25, 2021

August 25 2021 Update

I mentioned yesterday about the opportunity to honor Karl Snow and Glee Zumbrennen for their roles in promoting the change in Provo's form of government 40 years ago, and how much the trajectory of the city changed to lead to our successes today.  I had the opportunity to know all of the Mayors in Provo since the change in the form of government - Jim Ferguson, Joe Jenkins, Mike Hill, George Stewart, Lewis Billings, John Curtis and Michelle Kaufusi - and to learn much from each of them.  Jim has been a bit of an unlikely friend as he became a city manager in Arizona after his time as mayor in Provo, and we have stayed in touch over the years.  

Last evening at city council meeting, we recognized Karl and Glee and Karl and I had a few minutes to reminisce before the meeting.  He was one of my professors in the BYU MPA program and was a huge influence in the early days of my career.  It was also an interesting moment when we realized that I have been working for the City for almost half of that 40 year time frame.  

Local government can bring out the best in people, as I know it does for most of us working for the City.  And we have an enormous legacy to live up to as we serve the residents of Provo effectively and with honor and integrity.


On a more somber note - we had an officer involved shooting incident last night in Provo.  Details are below.  We are very grateful that none of our officers were injured.  These are always tragic and traumatic for everyone involved.

On 08/24/2021, officers were attempting to make a traffic stop on a 2012 blue Buick LaCrosse on Geneva Rd in Provo, UT.  After making several signals for the vehicle to pull over, the blue Lacrosse fled at high speeds.  Officers did not pursue.  

Shortly after the vehicle fled, a Utah County Detective and a Pleasant Grove Detective with the Utah County Major Crimes Task Force located the vehicle near 300 N 900 W in Provo. 48-year-old, Paul Rasmussen, was seen getting out of the vehicle. Officers initiated their police lights. It was reported that Paul Rasmussen pointed a gun at officers.  Officers then shot Paul Rasmussen multiple times.  Officers were not injured.

Officers rendered aid to Paul Rasmussen until medical arrived and transported him to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.  Doctors pronounced Paul Rasmussen deceased approximately an hour later.

Per protocol, the Officer Involved Critical Incident Team (OICI) is actively investigating this incident.  The OICI is a team that comprises investigators from several Utah County law enforcement agencies.  They will be working with the Utah County Attorney’s Office until the investigation is concluded.



UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

1820 The Musical I August 6 - September 11
Rock The Canyon I August 28 4:00 pm - 8:00pm
Lunchbox Hacks I September 1 7:00 pm
Provo City Library Writing Group I September 4 1:00 - 2:00 pm
The Alibis I September 30 - October 23
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22

NEWS YOU CAN USE


PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA





YOUR VOICE

One of the ideas that came through the earlier survey was the desire to make the update more interactive.  So, today we are asking you to check out this section (on the right -->) where we will include polls and questions for you, as well as a form where you can highlight a coworker or tell us about what you do for the city! This can range from new babies or weddings to just wanting to give a shout-out to a fellow employee. Fill out the questions on the left, then upload pictures for us to share using the link below!  We will post your responses in upcoming editions of the update.


EMPLOYEE / DEPARTMENT HIGHLIGHT


Today's highlight is a member of our Channel 17 crew!  In the words of our media services team:  

He can slam a revolving door. The word handsome was created after him. Sharks have a week dedicated for him. The last time he flirted with danger, danger got clingy. He gives final say to the Oscars. He is Channel 17's Paul Hughes. Video master, creative extraordinaire.

Watch for Paul around the city; he does an amazing job as part of our media services team.

FUN STUFF

How important is your streaming service to you?  I don't think I'd think twice about this demand, but I can understand how someone might have second thoughts.


Have a great rest of your day.  Back tomorrow with the weekend edition of the update! 

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...