Monday, August 9, 2021

Monday August 9, 2021

It has been a busy Monday - lots of meetings and projects underway.  Add to that the recent surge in Covid cases across the state (and all that brings), it has been pretty hectic today.  I also had a two hour meeting with the Mayor and officials from across the state on funding strategies to more comprehensively address the impacts of homelessness on our cities.  Now that I write all that, I am even more exhausted than I was when I started.  😃 


UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Cool Science: Ice Cream Demonstration I August 10 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Learn It: Canning 101 I August 10 7:00 - 8:30 pm
Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I August 12 6:30 - 7:00 pm
Crochet Club: Bags I August 12 7:00 - 8:00 pm
Rock The Canyon I August 28 4:00 pm - 8:00pm
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22

NEWS YOU CAN USE


YOUR VOICE

One of the ideas that came through the earlier survey was the desire to make the update more interactive.  So, today we are asking you to check out this section (on the right -->) where we will include polls and questions for you, as well as a form where you can highlight a coworker or tell us about what you do for the city! This can range from new babies or weddings to just wanting to give a shout-out to a fellow employee. Fill out the questions on the left, then upload pictures for us to share using the link below!  We will post your responses in upcoming editions of the update.  



PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA




HOT-BUTTON ITEMS IN PROVO

Let's talk the recent surge of Covid-19 cases in Utah.  Here are a few updated stats from the State Health Department related to "breakthrough cases" - people who become seriously ill (requiring hospitalization) with Covid-19 after they were fully vaccinated.
  • There have been approximately 5,841 breakthrough cases in Utah and 21 deaths from those cases.
  • For every 100,000 Utahns fully vaccinated, 397 have been victims of breakthrough cases, 24 have been hospitalized and 1.4 have died.
  • The seven day rolling average of cases is at 183 for all Utahns, 286 for unvaccinated people, and 61 for vaccinated people.
We have seen an uptick in city employees who have tested positive for Covd-19 in the last 6 weeks or so (coinciding with the prevalence of the Delta variant), and we are monitoring the situation carefully.  Should any changes be required in city policies or practices, we will keep you informed.  

I wanted to reiterate two things we have encouraged with city employees.  If you are still undecided about getting a vaccine, we encourage you to think seriously about it.  If you had Covid-19 and haven't been vaccinated, you might want to check out the advantages to being immunized.  

Finally, let me remind everyone that if you have underlying medical conditions or other concerns, please reach out to your department director or human resources.  We can work with you where possible to allow alternative work arrangements. 

On a related note, you will be seeing an email from the Fire Department soon about some changes to the protocol for Covid-19 testing at the downtown fire station.  Just a reminder that if you need a test, it is easy, convenient and free through Provo Fire. 


FUN STUFF

Just in case you were missing the Olympics after yesterday's closing ceremonies, here is a classic Studio C sketch about a diving competition that is worth watching!



Sorry today's update is later than usual.  Looking forward to another busy day tomorrow!

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...