Happy Council Tuesday! I missed the last meeting as I was "Staycationing" with family, so I was able to watch the YouTube version of the meetings and caught up on the issues.
Today's work meeting has a focus on some short term issues like planned budget carryovers from the last fiscal year and appropriations to meet our obligations on some sales tax increment agreements we have. But more interesting to me are some detailed longer-term issues like allowing more accessory dwelling units, talking about housing affordability, the development process, and a rain barrel incentive program. The Council will also hear from the Provo School District staff on parking and traffic issues related to the rebuild of Timpview High School which is now underway.
And then this evening the Council will consider funding to enhance the Provo City Hall project with a water feature in the front plaza of the building. This water feature was included in the project budget, but given some of the uncertainties with construction cost inflation, this amenity would require going into project contingency and was cut from the project. We think it is an exciting feature that would bring a lot of activity to this end of downtown Provo, but not at the expense of required building expenses. The Council will be considering a resolution to essentially guarantee funding of the water feature just in case there are not sufficient funds in the project contingency to cover all the costs.
There has been (as there always seems to be) some public concern - primarily on social media - about the installation of the feature. The Council will hear from the project architect this evening, as well as from the public, and then make a decision. For your information, here is a water feature from eastern Europe that is the model (Provo's would not be this big but would include the same features) for what we have been planning to include in the project.
UPCOMING CITY EVENTS
Dazzle Dogzz! I September 20 6:00pm
Sabrina Allen Excellence Concert I September 20 7:30pm
Learn It: Cooking with Fall Spices I September 21 7:00pm
Employee Appreciation BBQ I September 22 11:30 am
Fall Food Fest I September 24 5:00pm
Time Management and Organization for Teens I September 30 7:00 pm
Provo City Library Writing Group I October 2 1:00 pm
Acting Up: Beauty and the Beast I October 4 7:00 pm
Learn It: Inking for Inktober I October 5 2021 7:00 pm
Recipe Swap I October 6 7:00 pm
TRIBUTE presented by Utah Metropolitan Ballet: Art and Heart I October 8 - 9
Conversaciones/Conversations I October 12 7:00 pm
Superhero Academy I October 16 11:00 am
Catapult I October 26 7:30pm
Ammon and Liahona Olayan I October 27 7:30pm
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- For those of you following the Gabby Petito case, over the weekend remains matching her description were found and a search warrant was served to her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie.
- Retooled and revitalized, Overstock.com is back from the grave.
- There have been many articles on Utah’s ‘fierce’ housing market, but it seems like even though sales are slowing, prices are still sky high.
- Farmers Feeding Utah is connecting local producers with students in need, and the results have had great turnouts.
YOUR VOICE
Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!
PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA
TUESDAY TIP
It's okay to still need help and learn and ask questions - read this article on being comfortable with constant growing pains.
FUN STUFF
Seems like a good day for a video from one of my favorite pop artists. This is Bruno Mars with 24K Magic. Enjoy a little R&B and funk today!
Hope you have a great rest of your day. And thanks for letting me invade your email inbox!
Wayne
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.