Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Wednesday, October 20 2021 Update

I actually had the opportunity to meet General Colin Powell many years ago at a conference where he was a keynote speaker.  I know he became a controversial figure after the Iraq War for his speech before the UN General Assembly where he talked about weapons of mass destruction based on US intelligence which was later proved wrong.  Part of what I liked about Colin Powell was his willingness to admit when he was wrong, and this was one of those times.  There are many things I have loved about his leadership style over the years, but one of my favorites was his list of 13 rules of leadership.  Here they are:
  1. It ain't as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning.
  2. Get mad, then get over it.
  3. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.
  4. It can be done.
  5. Be careful what you choose. You may get it.
  6. Don't let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.
  7. You can't make someone else's choices. You shouldn't let someone else make yours.
  8. Check small things.
  9. Share credit.
  10. Remain calm. Be kind.
  11. Have a vision. Be demanding.
  12. Don't take counsel of your fears or naysayers.
  13. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.
It was kind of an emotional moment for me Monday evening when I stepped outside my home to lower our flag to half staff.  Hopefully, I am a better leader and human being for what I learned over the years watching Colin Powell. 

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I October 19 2021 6:30 pm
Crochet Club: Hats I October 19 7:00 pm
Covey Tapestry of Dance I October 19 7:30 pm
Halloween Book Page Wreaths I October 20 7:00 pm
TrickTok or Treat I October 21 7:00 pm
AuthorLink with Brandon Mull I October 22 6:00 pm
Swing 4 Cancer Benefit Concert I October 23 4:00 pm
Teen Takeover: Magical Mayhem I October 23 6:30 pm
Paint Night I October 26 7:00 pm
Catapult I October 26 7:30pm
Learn It: All About Stress I October 27 7:00 pm
Ammon and Liahona Olayan I October 27 7:30pm
BYU Young Company: Luna I November 1 7:00 pm
Learn It: Buying Your First Home I November 2 7:00 pm
Learn It: Bookbinding I November 3 7:00 pm
Provo City Library Writing Group I November 6 1:00 pm
Conversations/Conversaciones I November 9 7:00 pm
Fall Leaves for Families I November 10 6:30 pm
Harry Potter Trivia I November 10 7:00 pm
Learn It: Medicare 101 I November 16 7:00 pm
Learn It: Gluten Free Cookies I November 17 7:00 pm
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I November 18 6:30 pm
Joshua Creek Christmas I November 29 7:00 pm
Ryan Shupe Christmas I November 30 7:30 pm
A Christmas Carol | December 02 - December 20
Light Up Christmas! I December 3 - December 4
The Alibis I February 7:30 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • More than 130 countries have agreed on sweeping changes to how big global companies are taxed, including a 15% minimum corporate rate designed to deter multinationals from stashing profits in low-tax countries. The deal is an attempt to address the ways globalization and digitalization have changed the world economy. 
  • If you don't like the smell of manure, then this will be good news for you! Tests in the UK have shown that artificial lightning can strip pollutants from animal manure, removing the smell and the environmental impact of methane and ammonia. Yep, you read that right.
  • A science experiment done through Project STRIVE, which is a program fostered by the National Federation of the Blind of Utah helped blind students use adaptive technologies to participate in a chemistry experiment that they normally would not be able to do. 
  • The Postal Service slowed the mail, the price of a stamp went up in August — from 55 cents to 58 cents — and additionally, temporary holiday price increases for packages and other mail are now in effect All this in an effort to save money, started on October 1st. Some critics say it's a death spiral.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

WEDNESDAY TIP

Jack Benny was a comic, but leaders can take a few tips 

Jack Benny's comedic heyday was over 70 years ago, but his generosity and lack of ego made him a unique comic talent then and a leadership role model for executives today, writes Bobby Blumofe, Akamai's chief technology officer and Benny's grandson. "Moreover, an environment that values collaboration over individual star power attracts the best talent, retains the best talent, and allows that talent to develop and flourish to its full potential," Blumofe writes.


FUN STUFF

Every year, there is a photo competition for The 2021 Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards.  If I remember right, I shared last year's winners in the Daily Update as well.  Here are a few of my favorites from this year's award winners.













Hope you have a great day.  Thanks for all you do to make Provo awesome!

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...