Happy Monday! First official day of work for Chief Fred Ross! Welcome, Chief, to the Provo Team!
It was a bit of a poignant weekend for me. I spoke at the funeral Friday for one of my best and lifelong friends. He has had some serious health struggles over the last couple of years, and he passed away a week ago Sunday morning from a secondary infection and left a family of eight children and about 10 grandchildren. His son commented that he had lived a very "normal life" by the world's standards, but had an enormous impact in the life of his family and people he worked with. There is probably no greater tribute than that one.
We also received news over the weekend that our good friend and former colleague in the city council office Bryce Mumford passed away from Covid-related complications due to his long standing struggle with kidney disease. Bryce had been the deputy county executive in Cache County and worked with my friend David Zook, the county executive. Our hearts go out to Bryce's wife Lissa and their four young children.
These moments cause us all to reflect on our own mortality, and if we use them well, they help us find ways to live our lives better.
UPCOMING CITY EVENTS
Utah Valley Handbell Ringers I December 6 6:00 pm
Learn It: Holiday Menu and Meal Planning I December 7 7:00 pm
Film Lecture Series: Christmas Movies - Some Deep Cuts I December 7 7:00 pm
Teen Writer's Group I December 9 7:00 pm
Emergency Home Power Presentation I December 11 8:30 am
Holiday Recipe Swap I December 11 1:00 pm
Conversaciones/Conversations I December 14 7:00 pm
Holiday Paint Night I December 15 7:00 pm
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I December 16 6:30 pm
A Pioneer Christmas I December 17 - December 20
A Christmas Carol I December 20 7:00 pm
Teen Book Club: Beehive Award Nominees I December 23 7:00 pm
Teens Talk: Share Your Hobby I December 30 7:00 pm
Countdown 2022 Party Animals I December 31 7:00 pm
YOUR VOICE
As I showed you on a previous update, we have our Christmas lights up and going! That led to a little discussion in our office. Do you put up Christmas decorations or listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving?
Don't forget to still upload pictures and share news! :)
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- If you want your holiday package to arrive on time, here are the deadlines to know.
- Giving Machines are up and going across the world, and started here in Utah. It's gaining attention from many, including Drew Barrymore who talked about the #LightTheWorld Giving Machines on her TV show.
- Dozens of people were stranded overnight in an IKEA store in Denmark last Wednesday night after a snowstorm dumped 12 inches of snow. There was food and plenty of beds - once shoppers made it through the maze of a store to find them. Honestly, if there's one store to be stuck in overnight, Ikea might be it! All the great furniture and no assembly required!
- Utah Valley University announced Thursday the opening of the new Gateway Building, which will be funded by a $5 million donation from prominent business leader and UVU alum Brandon Fugal.
PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA
HOT-BUTTON ITEMS IN PROVO
Today, let's talk about potential transit expansion. The City has been involved in three very important studies that have the potential to expand the viability of transit in Provo. These include:
- the addition of a UVX stop near the BYU Creamery on 900 East. This stop was originally included in the original BRT project design, but was eliminated due to substantial opposition in the Wasatch Neighborhood and replaced by two stations, one on 900 North and one near the MTC on University Parkway. We presented the results of a study and two open houses last week at the City Council meeting, and the Council expressed interest in continuing the review and data gathering to consider adding a stop at this location.
- the central corridor study which has been looking at a new BRT route from the Point of the Mountain down State Street (with a short detour to connect the new Vineyard FrontRunner station) to the Provo Intermodal Center. This would connect Utah Valley Hospital and the medical center area to a new UVX line.
- the south valley corridor study which explores extending FrontRunner from Provo south to Payson and perhaps to Santaquin.
All of these projects would require funding, which clearly becomes a challenge, but there is hope that the new Federal Infrastructure Bill might help jump start some of these projects in a meaningful way. So, stay tuned. There is much more to come on these potential projects.
FUN STUFF
OK - so this is a weird one, but occasionally something like this just grabs my attention. Can a puppy and a rooster get along? If so, maybe that give us hope in a time of national division over almost every issue.
I hope your day goes well. Thanks for all you do to make Provo City such a great place to work!
Wayne
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.