Tuesday, January 11, 2022

January 11 2022 Update

Today's monologue won't be so much about Covid as it was yesterday.  Our testing numbers at Fire Station 1 and in some of our departments are proving that Provo City employees and families have about the same positivity rate as the rest of Utah.  So let's be careful, get tested if you need, and take precautions.  If you have questions about the city policy that was sent out yesterday, feel free to reach out to your director or to Human Resources.

Last evening I got to enjoy a classic college national championship football game.  It was kind of a fun story.  The Alabama quarterback was highly recruited out of high school, and won this year's Heisman Trophy.  The Georgia quarterback was not the elite high school player but dreamed his whole life of playing for Georgia.  After a year of playing junior college ball, he transferred to Georgia.  He started the season as the third string quarterback, and finally found himself as Georgia's starting QB.   The game was really close until the waning minutes of the game.  Only one point separated the two teams.  Georgia was beginning a drive when the quarterback under intense pressure fumbled the football setting up an easy Alabama touchdown drive.  Georgia came back and  scored a touchdown to retake the lead, and scored an additional touchdown on a "pick six" interception. 

As soon as it was clear the Alabama had no chance to win, the Georgia quarterback broke down in tears and was congratulated by his coaches and teammates. His long held dream of playing QB at Georgia was capped off by winning the national championship - Georgia's first since 1980.  

I am a sucker for these kinds of underdog stories, and it is a good lesson for all of us.  It doesn't matter as much where we come from or how we got where we are; what matters is the effort we put in and how we handle the challenge before us.  



UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Artistic Dance Winter Concert I January 11 7:00 pm
Art by Conchis I January - March 2
Conversaciones I January 11 7:00 pm
Teen Writer's Group I January 13 7:00 pm
Cinderella by The Dance Conservatory I January 14 - January 15
COPA AF MDT Concert I January 18 - January 20
Learn It: Macrame for Beginners I January 18 7:00 pm
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I January 20 6:30 pm
Library Ballroom Book Sale | January 22 10:00 am
Family Movie Night - Kung Fu Panda | January 24 at 7:00 p.m.
No-Pressure Book Club I January 25 7:00 pm
Guys Read Book Club: Icefall I January 27 7:00 pm
Teen Book Club: No Shakespeare I January 27 7:00 pm
Vision Boards I January 29 2:00 pm
The Alibis I February 7:30 pm 
Paint Night I February 1 7:00 pm
Teen Volunteer Board I February 3 6:30 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Today is National Human Trafficking Awareness Day. Human trafficking is a surprisingly prevalent thing, even here in every state in the U.S. The National Human Trafficking Hotline has tips on recognizing the signs of trafficking.
  • A recent study in the journal Obstetrics & Gynecology found that homicide is the leading cause of death among pregnant women and women who are six weeks postpartum. Indeed, homicide exceeds other leading causes of maternal mortality by more than twofold.
  • The Entrata founder who sent an antisemitic email will be forced to divest his holdings in company.
  • Salt Lake County's indoor mask mandate has an important distinction from it's previous mandate: It requires people to wear respirators — high-quality masks such as N95, KN95 or KF94. The county is offering free respirator masks as this new mandate takes effect.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA


YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!


TUESDAY TIP

Weak links still have wisdom to share 

Team members who contribute unusual insights and perspectives can raise the team's performance under the right conditions, even if they are often incorrect, according to a study. "Indeed, over multiple decision-making rounds, these people tended to shed their worst intuitions and played a crucial role in helping the team to spot the best-performing options," writes Adi Gaskell, citing the study.


FUN STUFF

We haven't done Tonight Show hashtags in a while.  Given the New Year, Jimmy Fallon asked viewers to post comments with the hashtag #MyResolutionInSixWords.  Here were some of his favorites.









  


My resolutions took more than 6 words, but I'm not sure I will achieve as many as these folks are planning on!  Hope you have a great day.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...