Wednesday, January 19, 2022

January 19 2022 Update

So - one of my wife Julie's passions is crocheting things for grandkids.  Sometimes they are stuffed animals or dolls (including a 30" long dragon once), but the last few years she has been crocheting Christmas ornaments like these.  Once the crocheting is done, each one has to be stretched, pinned and painted with several coats of a glue and water mixture to stiffen them.  The last few days have involved the stretching, pinning and stiffening process.  Last night after Council meeting I got drafted into helping stretch and pin new snowflakes - about 8 of them each requiring about 70 pins.  I thought I would share this photo of the collection of finished products from a few years ago.  It is amazing to me that something that intricate comes from crochet thread and various knots, combined with the talent of the artist.    


Also, yesterday was a city council day.  The Council heard presentations about UTA's plans to extend FrontRunner to Payson, the draft city general plan, and the redistricting process for school board seats.  They also approved a new ordinance establishing standards and a process for the city accepting transfer of private streets and utilities into public ownership, and they approved terminating some council committees, starting others, and appointing council members to serve on those committees.  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Teen Writer's Group I January 13 7:00 pm
Cinderella by The Dance Conservatory I January 14 - January 15
Provo City Library Writing Group I January 15 1:00 pm
COPA AF MDT Concert I January 18 - January 20
Learn It: Macrame for Beginners I January 18 7:00 pm
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I January 20 6:30 pm
Library Ballroom Book Sale | January 22 10:00 am
Family Movie Night - Kung Fu Panda | January 24 at 7:00 p.m.
No-Pressure Book Club I January 25 7:00 pm
Guys Read Book Club: Icefall I January 27 7:00 pm
Teen Book Club: No Shakespeare I January 27 7:00 pm
Vision Boards I January 29 2:00 pm
The Alibis I February 7:30 pm 
Paint Night I February 1 7:00 pm
Teen Volunteer Board I February 3 6:30 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Crude oil prices could hit $100 a barrel as demand continue to outstrip supply, according to analysts.
  • A group called Outforia compiled a list of the county’s national parks and recreation areas that saw the most search and rescues since 2018. It looks like California had the most overall as a state, with the Grand Canyon National Park having the highest number of search and rescues.
  • Recently some political commentators and legal scholars have been talking about the possibility of reinstating blue laws, where everyone takes a Sabbath. Part of the motivation behind these discussions is a way to address the "great resignation" taking place across the country.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Thanks for sharing your fun with us, please keep sharing all of your exciting news with us!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

EMPLOYEE / DEPARTMENT HIGHLIGHT

Here are just a few of the new year's resolutions your coworkers are setting. If you are struggling to pick some resolutions, maybe some of these will inspire you!

  • Losing weight is always a thing I come back to year after year - personal health is something you need to stay on top of these days in the world of desk jobs and processed foods! (Several of you mentioned this one.)
  • To make a quilt!
  • A couple of my resolutions are to read 35 books this year (with 20 of them being books I already own) and to start keeping a sketchbook daily if I can
  • To spend more time in the mountains.
  • Be awesome!
  • Read all my book club books BEFORE book club, even the boring ones!
  • Read ten new books this year
  • Go on a weekend trip/stay-cation once a month
  • Schedule a therapy appointment!

These are some great resolutions! Being healthy is so important, reading is such a wonderful habit, getting out to go on vacation or just up to the mountains can be so good for us, and good mental health is essential!

FUN STUFF

Flash mobs are always fun, even if they are heavily scripted.  This one from a few years ago in the Adelaide Central Market in Australia featured musicians from the State Opera of South Australia singing music from their production of Les Miserables.  I hope you enjoy a moment of classic music and vocals from this amazing group of singers.  And if you ever get the chance to attend a Les Miz production, make sure and go - one of the best experiences ever!  



I hope you have a great day.  Please stay safe and healthy.  

Wayne

1 comment:

  1. Julie's crocheted ornaments: beautiful work, beautiful keepsakes!
    Your son's smiling face in yesterday's picture: kind, just like yours!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...