Monday, January 24, 2022

January 24 2022 Update

It's a great Monday in Provo!  I hope you had a great weekend and a good opportunity to enjoy some time outside in what ended up being an amazingly clear sky weekend (without our customary inversion haze).  And, if you love football, I hope you got to see one or more of the NFL divisional playoff games this weekend - every one came down to the wire.  Three were decided by a last few seconds' score, and one was decided in overtime.  

We are now in the throes of the state legislative session, which is a time that makes me nervous every year.  Prior to coming to Provo, I was the administrative services director in Ogden for 8 years and was the City's lobbyist on Capitol Hill.  So for 8 legislative sessions, I worked full time at the Capitol during the session and on interim days.  So I have a little feel for how fast things can move and how easy it is for unintended consequences to happen on the floor or in committee meetings.  As you probably know, Deputy Mayor Isaac Paxman is our legislative quarterback and does a great job of keeping us informed and many of our staff involved in representing Provo's interests.  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

COPA AF MDT Concert I January 18 - January 20
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I January 20 6:30 pm
Library Ballroom Book Sale | January 22 10:00 am
Family Movie Night - Kung Fu Panda | January 24 at 7:00 p.m.
No-Pressure Book Club I January 25 7:00 pm
Guys Read Book Club: Icefall I January 27 7:00 pm
Teen Book Club: No Shakespeare I January 27 7:00 pm
Vision Boards I January 29 2:00 pm
The Alibis I February 7:30 pm 
Paint Night I February 1 7:00 pm
Teen Volunteer Board I February 3 6:30 pm
Conversaciones I February 8 7:00 pm
Valentine's Ball I February 12 6:00 pm

YOUR VOICE

If sharing is caring then you guys care a lot! Keep sending in your highlights and hobbies, we love seeing them!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Today is International Day of Education and National Compliment Day, so if you haven't heard it yet today, you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!
  • The US State Department has ordered the families of all American personnel at the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine to leave the country amid heightened fears of a Russian invasion. NATO is putting extra forces on standby and sending more ships and fighter jets to Eastern Europe. 
  • The NFL had what the Washington Post called the "best weekend ever." 
  • Lt. Governor Henderson has tested positive for COVID a second time and has canceled all public events for the week.
  • On Saturday, the Arizona Democratic party voted to censure Senator Sinema for failing to endorse Senate rule changes (ie: the filibuster) in order to pass voting rights legislation.  
  • Thich Nhat Hanh, Zen master, Buddhist monk, political reformer and an ally of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., died at age 95. He was one of the world's most influential Zen masters, spreading messages of mindfulness, compassion and nonviolence.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

HOT-BUTTON ITEMS IN PROVO

Let’s talk today about the city’s process for adopting a general plan.  State law requires that the City periodically updates the city’s general plan, which is a document that charts the city’s intents, and which establishes policies that govern land use, transportation, and a variety of other topics essential to planning for the city’s future.  The plan generally tries to look out about 20 years and forecasts growth, housing types, and major infrastructure needs.

We are in the midst of an update right now, and last week the most recent near-final draft hit the Council meeting agenda.  This plan has been in development for the better part of a year, and has been developed by the Community and Neighborhood Services Department staff assisted by a planning consulting firm called Design Workshop.  The plan has been through very extensive public outreach, including more than 1,000 comments in open houses, committee meetings, emails and through our Open City Hall online forum.  Over the last couple of months, our department director team has been involved in looking at the draft and evaluating the tactics and objectives for feasibility.  The Planning Commission has recommended the final draft to the Council, and now it is the elected officials’ job to determine what they can support and to conduct a series of public hearings before final adoption.

Our CNS planning staff has done an excellent job of working on the draft, and of being flexible as changes have occurred over the last several weeks.  This can be a really challenging assignment to balance many different priorities of very different constituencies and finding the right language to represent Provo’s vision of the future of our community and how to best accomplish the task of getting there.

If you’d like to have a look at the general plan document, you can take a look here.

FUN STUFF

So, the Parkers haven't yet entered the world of Roomba and other cool self initiated vacuums.  However, I did have to set one up for Julie's mother over the holidays.  She loves hers, but I thought a computer science degree should have been required to do the setup.  So - this new invention courtesy of Studio C might just correct some of the things I wish had been different with the Roomba I got to set up.




I hope you have a great rest of your day.  Stay healthy and safe.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...