Thursday, January 6, 2022

January 6, 2022 Update

The last few days have been a bit sobering as we have seen the reach and breadth of the Omicron variant of Covid-19.  Our testing resources are being stretched very thin, and we are seeing many more of our co-workers and friends being impacted.  One thing we do know is that by and large, those who have been vaccinated and boosted have a much milder case and a much higher rate of recovery, even in they experience a "break-through" case of the virus.  So, the facts argue for taking some extra care and caution over the next few weeks as we try to respond to the growing number of cases. 

You should see later today an email with more information about how we should respond if we become exposed to Covid-19 or test positive, and based on vaccination status.  So keep watching your inbox.

I have also been thinking about the events that took the life of our police officer Joe Shinners three years ago yesterday.  I remember vividly the calls I was getting from Chief Miguel giving me status updates on Officer Shinners that evening at home, and the whirlwind of feelings and events that following.  The candlelight vigil and the funeral stand out as events I will never forget because of the outpouring of love and sympathy I felt for the department and the Shinners family.  I have had the opportunity many times over the last three years to visit with my colleagues in other cities who have experienced line of duty deaths of one of their police officers, and it brings back all those memories again.  I very much appreciate the risks our first responders take to keep our community safe, and I hope to never again lose one of our friends in the line of duty.

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Teen Volunteer Board I January 6 6:30 pm
Animal Symbolism | January 7 
COPA Pop Concert I January 10 7:30 pm
Artistic Dance Winter Concert I January 11 7:00 pm
Cinderella by The Dance Conservatory I January 14 - January 15
Library Book Sale | January 21
Family Movie Night - Kung Fu Panda | January 24 at 7:00 p.m.

NEWS YOU CAN USE

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

One of the ideas that came through the earlier survey was the desire to make the update more interactive.  So, today we are asking you to check out this section (on the right -->) where we will include polls and questions for you, as well as a form where you can highlight a coworker or tell us about what you do for the city! This can range from new babies or weddings to just wanting to give a shout-out to a fellow employee. Fill out the questions on the left, then upload pictures for us to share using the link below!  We will post your responses in upcoming editions of the update.

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

MAYOR'S WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

 This week Mayor's highlight was participating in the inauguration program on Tuesday.  Just in case you weren't able to watch or participate, here is the video of the event. 



FUN STUFF

Here are my favorite Internet memes of the week for your pleasure.














Stay safe and take the time to make good decisions about your personal and family health.  I hope you have a good weekend.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...