Tuesday, February 1, 2022

February 1 2022 Update

Welcome to February and to the first council meeting day this month.  It is also the first department directors' meeting of the year since January's was canceled due to the inauguration events of the day.  

The legislative session continues in full swing this week with new and revised bills coming fast and furious.  Our team is monitoring all of the developments that might have an impact on city government, our employees and on state policy that could have consequences for cities in general.  We are blessed in Utah County to have some of the best and brightest legislators at the state capitol.

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

National Girls in Sports Day I February 3 4:00 pm
The Alibis I February 7:30 pm 
Paint Night I February 1 7:00 pm
Teen Volunteer Board I February 3 6:30 pm
Conversaciones I February 8 7:00 pm
Valentine's Ball I February 12 6:00 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • A marina at Lake Powell will be closed throughout all of 2022 due to what officials call "unprecedented low water conditions."
  • The James Webb telescope has arrived at its final destination in space. Many have commented in the potential for what we could learn about the universe being directly tied to the success of this mission. 
  • The SATs are gearing up for a major change. They have been criticized for a plethora of logistical problems and for fostering socioeconomic bias. A move toward an all-digital format, a shorter test time and access to calculators could help the test retain relevance as the US education system adapts to the evolving needs of students. The shift comes as more colleges and universities eschew the exams as a prerequisite for admissions.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA


YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

TUESDAY TIP

Want engagement? You need to be more curious 

https://www.rootinc.com/simple-actions-and-a-deep-curiosity-make-the-greatest-impact/ 

Many employees have more to give at work, if only they felt they had sufficient opportunity and if leaders were curious enough to ask, writes Root Inc. Chairman Jim Haudan. "Simply having these discussions and then translating the information into action will ensure that people feel valued and that they can contribute to the best of their abilities," Haudan writes.


FUN STUFF

In the Mood, a number made famous by the Glen Miller orchestra, is a classic jazz/big band number.  And the US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors does it better than almost any one else today.  The only problem is when I listen to it, I wonder if I should have been born in the 1930's instead of the 1950's!  




Hope you have a great day.  We will be back again tomorrow with more fun, frivolity, and things you should know about!  

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...