Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Wednesday February 16 2022 Update

Happy Wednesday. You are drawing ever closer to a holiday weekend, which I know we all look forward to. I appreciate the opportunity to guest host Wayne’s Daily Update. I hope in the paragraphs to come he does not regret the decision. He mentioned he was going to be off for a bit, caring for his wife post- surgery. I know you all join me in wishing Julie a fast and pain free recovery. I understand she is doing very well. 

My name is Jim Miguel, and I am the Fire Chief. I came to Provo more than five years ago, after spending 32 years in the California fire service. My wife Susan and I have a combined total of 11 children and 18 grandchildren. We are so thankful to call Utah home, and to have a majority of our children and grandchildren close. 

Last Thursday, our 18th grandchild was born, and truly part of the Provo family. His name is Daniel William Miguel, and he is the son of Provo police officer Zac Miguel, and his sweetheart Judith. Zac is my son, and I am proud to watch him serve Provo.  

I know I am bias, but he is beautiful. Of all the names I have been called in my life, “Grandpa” is the best by far. 

Today we attended the funeral of retired Provo Fire Engineer Douglas Ball. Engineer Ball began his service as a volunteer firefighter for the Provo Fire Department, he was later hired to a full time position. In June 1975, he completed the Paramedic program at Weber State College and became one of the first Paramedics in Provo.  He was later appointed as an Engineer. Engineer Ball was a beloved father, grandfather and friend. His service to his family, friends, and our community will not be forgotten.  

I wish you all a great rest of the week, and a safe and fantastic holiday weekend. On behalf of the fire department, I thank you for all you do for our department and the community. So many of you help the fire department each day. I am thankful for the friendship and spirit of cooperation we feel as we work side by side with you to make this city a better place. 

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

West Side Story and YA Utah Valley Symphony I February 17 - February 18
Sherma Andrews Concert I February 19 7:30 pm
Learn It: Dungeons and Dragons I February 22 7:00 pm
Best Books of 2021 I February 23 7:00 pm
MUOTeen 2022 I February 25 - February 26
No Pressure Book Club I March 1 7:00 pm
BYU Vocal Point I March 18 - March 19
Soundsation I March 15 7:00 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Watch this interesting and informative video about the drought here in Utah.
  • Stocks fell as investors continued to assess the possibility of war between Russia and Ukraine and the prospect of interest-rate increases by the Federal Reserve.
  • A new poll found that a large majority of Utahns trust that their state will conduct a fair election in 2022 — but they’re more split over whether the 2020 election should be audited.
  • The Salt Lake Tribune highlighted 150 things to do in Utah.
  • Homie announced companywide layoffs last week as the tech startup reduced its workforce by some 28% amid unprecedented conditions for home buyers and sellers in Utah and around the country.
  • Backers of a proposed ballot initiative to end Utah’s use of vote-by-mail say they will file a suit in federal court because the state delayed their efforts to gather signatures to secure a spot on the ballot. They currently do not have enough signatures.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Keep the highlights coming, we love to see them!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

EMPLOYEE / DEPARTMENT HIGHLIGHT

Check out this fun and exciting announcement from the Covey for this weekend only!!

We have an outstanding performance coming up this weekend that we need to fill! A virtuoso singer is coming to sing the classics of Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, Donna Summer, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, and more. We're giving out four free tickets per person to all Provo City employees!!

Saturday, February 19 at 7:30pm at the Covey Center for the Arts

FUN STUFF

The Olympics have dominated television time in the Miguel home over the last 10 days, and unfortunately, controversy plays a leading role as it often does. Here are a few truly Olympic moments that you will not see on tonight’s broadcast.



Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...