Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Thursday February 17 2022 Update

It’s a pleasure to guest host for Wayne today. I’m Gene Nelson and I’m the Library Director. I’ve been in the library business for 44 years with 25 years here in Provo and it’s been a perfect career for me. I’ve had many terrific opportunities including building three libraries highlighted by the renovation of the Provo City Library at Academy Square. I’ve also served on children’s literature award committees like the Newbery and Caldecott awards. My wife Lori and I have been married for almost 50 years and we’ve been blessed with 6 children and 16 grandkids. 

My day today is filled with some fun stuff. I’m doing some interviewing for the Adult Services department in the morning, followed by a presentation at the Provo Rotary Club. Then I’m heading to the offices of Utah Valley Magazine for a photo shoot. The day concludes with debut author Heather Clark accompanied by veteran bestselling author Jen Nielsen speaking at the Library.

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

West Side Story and YA Utah Valley Symphony I February 17 - February 18
Sherma Andrews Concert I February 19 7:30 pm
Learn It: Dungeons and Dragons I February 22 7:00 pm
Best Books of 2021 I February 23 7:00 pm
MUOTeen 2022 I February 25 - February 26
No Pressure Book Club I March 1 7:00 pm
BYU Vocal Point I March 18 - March 19
Soundsation I March 15 7:00 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Utah's Office of Homeless Services just received nearly $13 million from the federal government. The money is intended for affordable housing and other services for individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness in Utah.
  • There has been a bit of controversy surrounding Kamila Valieva and a new doping scandal.
  • Kevin Costner wants to film 5 movies in Utah. But there’s a catch — and it hinges on lawmakers and SB49.
  • In the coming months, the Supreme Court will hear a case that could end race-based admissions for colleges and universities. If affirmative action ends, there are some groups pushing to replace it with something that should have been added a long time ago: a poor people’s box.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

 

YOUR VOICE

Thank you for sharing and keep the positivity coming!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

MAYOR'S WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

 This week Mayor's highlight was being on Good Things Utah talking about the Provo Advantage and Provo Women's Day!

FUN STUFF

I hope all the brainiac blondes that I know and love will forgive me for this favorite video about libraries.                                                                                                                                                        


As Sgt. Phil Esterhaus used to say on one of my favorite TV shows of the 80’s, Hill Street Blues, Let’s be careful out there.

Gene

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...