Wednesday, March 30, 2022

March 30 2022 Update



Last evening, the Municipal Council adopted new council district boundaries, which will take effect in January.  After much deliberation, consideration and public input, the Council settled on a map which makes some significant changes.  One of their key policy decisions early on was to create a district which focused on better representing residents west of I-15.  The new map does that, making it much more likely that the Council will always have a west side resident as a member.  But because of other constraints in the redistricting process, the map ended up putting both Councilor Handley's and Councilor Ellsworth's residences in the new district 2.  The former district 3 which Councilor Ellsworth represents crossed I-15 in the southern part of the city, so for 2023, she will represent a district where she doesn't live, but also an area that she has represented well since coming on to the Council two years ago.  It also means that she cannot run for re-election to her district seat in 2023.  

It is always interesting to me to watch these deliberations by our elected officials, and to see them weigh competing priorities in making these decisions.  It was certainly not easy, and there were serious pros and cons to every option the Council explored.  But the discussion was seriously undertaken and remained civil throughout.  And that is one of the hallmarks of good decision making by elected officials.  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Provo Science Palooza I March 26 10:00 am
BYU Noteworthy I March 26 7:30 pm
Ukulele for Teens I March 31 7:00 pm
Bee Gees Gold: The Tribute I April 1 7:30 pm
Teen Volunteer Board I April 7 6:30 pm
Not War by Music - UVYSO I April 11 7:30 pm
CSYP's Suessical Jr. I April 19 7:00 pm
Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Today is National Doctor's Day! We are so grateful for doctors and all they do for us!
  • Happy 100th birthday KSL radio! Today they are celebrating their first 100 years as a radio station.
  • The Milken Institute has once again ranked Provo as the best performing city in the U.S!
  • Russia agreed to peace talks, set in Istanbul, but Russia went ahead and launched new attacks after peace "promises." The governor of Ukraine's Chernihiv regions says there was no let up in Russian attacks. Russian forces pounded areas around Kyiv, where it said it was pulling back. Putin demands that Mariupol, which his forces have already bombed into near oblivion, surrender if Ukraine wants the shelling to stop.  Reports suggested Russian Roman Abramovich and two Ukrainian negotiators suffered symptoms of poisoning following early rounds of talks.
  • Governor Spencer Cox has nominated appeals court judge Diana Hagen to the Utah Supreme Court.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Your highlights are the stuff that dreams are made of, thanks for sharing!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

EMPLOYEE / DEPARTMENT HIGHLIGHT

Our question of how you're doing got a lot of responses of feeling tired and overwhelmed, which makes sense given all that is going on around us.  So here is your reminder that self care isn't a luxury, it's a necessity. So do something for YOU today, no matter how small it is.

And if you ever feel like you need space to share what you're feeling, we can't see who is sending it but we can see your responses and we will keep checking them.

FUN STUFF

A while back, we posted a video of a movie scene compilation that was a fun cover to Uptown Funk.  Here is another one from last year where Shut Up and Dance with Me was the tune.  Great music, a fun choreography compilation, and favorite move scenes makes for an entertaining and energetic video.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.




Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...