Monday, April 11, 2022

April 11 2022 Update

Welcome to a new week!  Not sure when kids in our various school districts have Spring Break, but my guess is someone has it this week.  With gas prices as they are, Disneyland may not be the best option this year!  

Today has been an interesting day as I have been working on several projects and trying to pull together some information for upcoming council meetings, in between the never-ending list of emails and phone calls to return.  We had our office weekly staff meeting this morning, and our executive team will be meeting today as well.  Budget prep continues with meetings this afternoon on compensation issues.  

Tomorrow, the Municipal Council holds its budget priorities retreat, which is a very important part of our budget preparation effort.  All of these things are part of the intricate jigsaw puzzle of putting together the Mayor's budget recommendations for next fiscal year.

Finally, it is Public Safety Telecommunicators' Week, and we get to celebrate all the great folks who work in our public safety dispatch and communications center.  They are frequently the unsung heroes who are the first line of response to our residents in what are often their most emotionally trying moments.  Way to go, team!  You are awesome!  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Not War by Music - UVYSO I April 11 7:30 pm
Mad Science: Spin, Pop, Boom! I April 18 7:00 pm
Crochet Basics I April 19 6:30 pm
Crochet Club: Crochet Samplers I April 19 7:00 pm
Paint Night I April 19 7:00 pm
CSYP's Suessical Jr. I April 19 7:00 pm
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I April 21 6:30 pm
Make Your Own Stress Ball I April 26 7:00 pm
Courtyard Book Sale I April 30 11:00 am
Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28

YOUR VOICE

Keep sharing your life and work highlights, big and small! Share on the right and upload photos below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • A woman has been charged with a DUI after hitting and killing 2 cyclists in St George.
  • The US February consumer debt has jumped 11% to its highest level in over a decade.
  • The Salt Lake County and Utah County Republican and Democratic parties held county conventions on Saturday. In Salt Lake County, two delegates were caught trying to stuff more than one ballot into the ballot box and were stripped of their delegate status. 
  • Will Smith banned from Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences events for 10 years, including the Oscars, for slapping Chris Rock.
  • The first all-private crew to board the International Space Station successfully docked, and the team will start conducting commercial research over the following week.  

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

HOT-BUTTON ITEMS IN PROVO

Sometimes we feel like we are all alone in the process of offering high quality public services to our residents and businesses.  But the truth is, we are part of a big public sector ecosystem of overlapping jurisdictions.  When we or any city ignore the other parts of that ecosystem, we do it at our peril.

Today, the Mayor joined some of our public works team in meeting with the executive director of the Utah Department of Natural Resources and his leadership team.  DNR is a really important partner with Provo as we work with them on things as diverse as water rights, Utah Lake State Park, protecting the Provo Airport from waterfowl bird strikes, working on wildfire prevention, and the coordinating with the state GIS team.  We spend a lot of time developing relationships with our partners in state government at all levels, as well as with the county, other cities, the Provo School District, and the myriad of special services districts that are part of that big ecosystem.  And - dealing with federal agencies - that is another level of complexity.

So the next time you wonder about why there are so many interconnections with our public sector partners, and why the coordination seems so tough, you'll know why we invest so much time and energy in building and maintaining these critical relationships.  Provo isn't an island, and the good news, we try to never act like one.  

FUN STUFF

I have two grandchildren who are three, and this little video reminds me a lot of them and how they always want to say hello to folks they meet.  My granddaughter in Vernal has adopted a dad who walks to school each day to meet his children at the same time she and her mom do the same, and it is really fun to hear her holler at him when she sees him every afternoon.  A really real 3-year-old's daily experience.  



Have a great rest of your day.  We appreciate all you do!

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...