Wednesday, May 18, 2022

May 18, 2022 Update

Well, welcome to the new phone system!  It seems like the unexpected issues have been few - replacing a 20 year old phone system is a big deal.  Thanks to the IS team for working so hard to smooth out the process.  I recognize that the IS group has very high expectations of them and limited resources (like just about every other city department), and they consistently perform at the highest levels.  We have asked a lot of them with two large new buildings, replacing a phone system, moving more than 250 servers to the new data center, and just keeping our “lights on.”  Well done!

Budget processes continued yesterday with the City Council.  The Council voted to adopt the “tentative budget,” which officially begins their process of detailed review and sets the stage for their actions in late June to set a formal new fiscal year budget.  Our two newest council members are in the midst of a steep learning curve and they are doing really well drinking from the budget fire hose!  We are excited to continue to work with the entire council as they review, set priorities, and start off the new fiscal year.

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28
Utah COPA POP Concert I May 23 7:30 pm
Studio K Dance Recital I May 24 7:00 pm
Studio 1 Solo Showcase I May 26 4:00 pm
Studio 1 Spring Recital I May 26 7:00 pm
Movies in the Park: Shrek 2 I June 6 8:00 pm
No Pressure Book Group I June 7 7:00 pm
Jive Spring Concert: Riverton I June 10 - June 11
Movies in the Park: Sing 2 I June 13 8:00 pm
Movies in the Park: Hercules I June 20 8:00 pm
Provo Market I July 23 10:00 am
The Tom Proctor Band I June 24 7:30 pm
Ammon and Liahona I June 25 6:00 pm
Motown & More I July 1 7:30 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • The last Ukrainian soldiers defending the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol yielded to Russian forces yesterday after months of heavy fighting in the southern port city.
  • Elon Musk said yesterday his $44B deal to buy Twitter can’t move forward unless the company proves that fewer than 5% of total users are fake.
  • Netflix lays off 150 employees, roughly 2% of its workforce; move follows April layoffs of editorial staff and a loss of 200,000 subscribers.
  • Mastercard begins pilot of its facial recognition payment system in Brazil; technology would allow customers to check out with a smile or glance.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

EMPLOYEE / DEPARTMENT HIGHLIGHT

Heidi Pepinos, City Recorder, is getting married on May 21! Her name will be changing to Heidi Allman.  Congrats, Heidi.  

FUN STUFF

So last week, I shared a little video about the Savannah Bananas baseball team.  I recently downloaded the Kindle version of Fans First: Change the Game, Break the Rules, and Create an Unforgettable Experience, written by the Bananas' owner Jesse Cole.  This video from ESPN's SportsCenter is a little longer than most - about 7 minutes - but I loved seeing the back story and I am anxious to learn more about his business philosophy.  I hope this whets your appetite to maybe think a little differently about how we do what we do.  




I hope your day is going well.  Take care and we will see you tomorrow!

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...