Monday, May 23, 2022

Monday May 23 2022 Update



Good Monday afternoon.  Wayne is out of the office this week with some much deserved away time.  Whether it’s a weekend getaway, vacation or just time away from the office – it's always good to get away from the office and to re-energize our batteries and mental well-being.  I hope you are able to do that.  For me, that usually means something outdoors and/or with family.   This weekend was no exception.  Some of you know I have a 13 year old son who rides for the Nebo Goats mountain bike team, his second year.  As he has been working hard at developing mountain bike endurance and skills, I too have been working hard at my own coaching certifications for the team.  Its been a lot of fun riding with my son, the coaches and young rider in the foothills of south Utah Valley.  Their energy and passion for the physical nature of the ride is inspiring.  I also had the chance to do a solo ride around Utah Lake Friday morning.  Did I mention I really love the variety of weather we get this time of year?  In the course of going around the lake on my bike, I rode through a snow squall between Genola and Elberta, battled fierce head winds towards the Bayview Landfill, felt the sun on my back in Saratoga and the whole time enjoying the gorgeous views of Utah Lake with the Wasatch Front as a back drop and Provo in the middle of it all.  We truly live in a marvelous place with so much to do and see.  All this of course helps recharge my batteries and gear up for another week in assisting to make Provo a better place for our residents, businesses and visitors.



UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28
Utah COPA POP Concert I May 23 7:30 pm
Studio K Dance Recital I May 24 7:00 pm
Studio 1 Solo Showcase I May 26 4:00 pm
Studio 1 Spring Recital I May 26 7:00 pm
Movies in the Park: Shrek 2 I June 6 8:00 pm
No Pressure Book Group I June 7 7:00 pm
Jive Spring Concert: Riverton I June 10 - June 11
Movies in the Park: Sing 2 I June 13 8:00 pm
Movies in the Park: Hercules I June 20 8:00 pm
Provo Market I July 23 10:00 am
The Tom Proctor Band I June 24 7:30 pm
Ammon and Liahona I June 25 6:00 pm
Motown & More I July 1 7:30 pm

YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • The 2022 China Challenge Summit is coming to Utah on Thursday, June 9th, and is presented by World Trade Center Utah, Utah Valley University, the US Chamber of Commerce, the Hoover Institution and others. It will be an important gathering of leaders and experts in U.S.-China relations, international trade and business, national security policy, and others. Participants will have the opportunity to learn from and engage with a unique group of China specialists on today’s most salient diplomatic and industrial challenges.
  • Australia's opposition Labor Party appears set to lead the country following national elections over the weekend.
  • An estimated 38 million Americans sweltered under weekend heat advisories, with elevated temperatures stretching from Texas to New England. The heat approached 100 degrees in some places, with a number of daily records falling Saturday. Meanwhile, a winter storm pummeled Colorado early Saturday, dropping more than 12 inches of snow in some locations and knocking out power to more than 66,000 customers in Denver.
  • The number of US deaths linked to unexplained cases of liver inflammation, or hepatitis, in children has risen to six over the past seven months, officials revealed. A reported 180 cases are being investigated across 36 states.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

CHANGES COMING

Innovation is the ability to see change as an opportunity – not a threat.  – Steve Jobs

Document printing in the workplace seems to be one of those areas that is typically overlooked by the hand of innovation. We often dream of working in a completely paperless environment, but the reality is that printing still proves its relevance day after day. On the surface it appears to be simple enough; when the machines work properly, we hardly think twice about grabbing those warm sheets of freshly-printed material off the output tray. But what about the times of frustration when such a simple process catches us off-guard to find that magical box of toner and rollers refusing to cooperate? Surely, there must be a better way.

“Innovation” is a characteristic that proudly defines Provo, and the move to a new City Hall has provided us a unique opportunity to rethink the way we do many things, including printing.  Les Olson has provided us a compelling model for support and service enhancement that can make our jobs a little easier, more sustainable, and less stressful. Their service offering includes contracts to support supplies, maintenance, and repairs of nearly every printer at the city hall, with professional technicians ready to respond to equipment failures within hours. They have also partnered with a green technology solution, aptly named “Papercut”, that offers an exciting list of new capabilities for managing print jobs and solving business needs. Each printer enrolled in Papercut will have a badge reader installed on it, where you will be able to swipe your employee badge at the printer to securely release your print job when you are ready for it. No more mad dash for sensitive documents. This even includes a “follow me” printing model, where you can release the print job at whichever printer is most convenient for you. If your regular printer is busy or offline for repairs, you can simply print the job at another nearby printer. No matter what printer you choose to use, printing costs and consumption metrics are accurately reported back to your own department for transparent print budgeting.

Finally, Les Olson has helped Provo find efficient medium and large size multifunction copy machines to replace older units currently utilized by various departments that will be moving to the new facility this summer. These units help to consolidate many small but costly desktop printers to significantly reduce total operating costs while greatly increasing capabilities. We are excited to use this new printing system, and we look forward to new technology that keeps innovation a bolded bullet point on Provo’s resume.

FUN STUFF

Speaking of bike rides, here are some classic bike fails to make your day just a little bit better!


Keep both wheels on the road.

Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...