Thursday, May 26, 2022

Thursday May 26 2022 Update

Hi!  I’m so excited to be a guest contributor to Wayne’s Blog this week.  I’m going to take this opportunity to introduce myself, promote the library, and introduce the newest member of our library team.
So, my name is Carla Gordon and I am currently the Assistant Director of Library Operations.  I have worked for the library in various positions for the past 23 years and I can’t imagine a better place to have spent what I’m realizing now is over half my life.  While I am originally from a very small farming community in Northern Utah, I moved to Utah County right after finishing graduate school and am so glad fate brought me here.  I work with the most amazing people and sincerely appreciate the support this community gives us.  I can’t think of a better place to raise my daughter! (Shamelessly picture here because she is so cute!)


Next, my plug for the library!  If you don’t already have a library card, I STRONGLY encourage you to get one.  There are so many amazing resources available with that card including:

·         Our wonderful collection of books, books on CD, DVDs, CDs, board games, video games, learning kits, telescopes, etc.!

·         An extensive collection of downloadable ebooks and eaudiobooks through the Libby app!

·         Online learning resources like LinkedIn Learning for personal development, Pronunciator to gain language skills, Freegal for streaming music, Kanopy of streaming movies, and more! (Check out our app for complete access.)

·         A huge variety of programs and experiences including story times, author visits, classes for all ages, crafting opportunities, movie nights, escape rooms, and so much more!  (Another plug for our app, it has a wonderful calendar.)

Finally, you may have already seen the pictures on social media, but last week we welcomed a bright and shiny Outreach Van home to Provo.  We’ve been working on getting this van for YEARS and are ecstatic to finally have it on the road.  This van will be traveling to preschools, retirement homes, community events, and just anywhere they will let us visit.  We’ll bring books, programs, and opportunities to engage with our residents, especially those who may not be able to visit our building. It is so pretty!

  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28
Studio 1 Solo Showcase I May 26 4:00 pm
Studio 1 Spring Recital I May 26 7:00 pm
Movies in the Park: Shrek 2 I June 6 8:00 pm
No Pressure Book Group I June 7 7:00 pm
Jive Spring Concert: Riverton I June 10 - June 11
Movies in the Park: Sing 2 I June 13 8:00 pm
Movies in the Park: Hercules I June 20 8:00 pm
Provo Market I July 23 10:00 am
The Tom Proctor Band I June 24 7:30 pm
Ammon and Liahona I June 25 6:00 pm
Motown & More I July 1 7:30 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Park City brewpub gets DABC’s only new bar license, but more are coming soon. Utah is set to award 10 more full bar licenses at an upcoming special meeting. 
  • A Russian diplomat working as part of the country's mission to the United Nations resigned his post Monday in protest of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Boris Bondarev, who had worked for the Russian Foreign Ministry since 2002, released a scathing public statement in which he criticized President Vladimir Putin, calling the war a crime against both the Ukrainian and Russian people. Moscow has not commented on Bondarev's departure or public denouncement. Read the full resignation letter here.
  • Scientists have created a low-cost gel film capable of pulling water from desert air; prototype device produced one-and-a-half gallons of clean water per day in environments with less than 15% humidity 
  • The number of US births rose for the first time in seven years in 2021 to nearly 3.7 million, according to preliminary data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released yesterday. The data represent a 1% rise from 2020, when the birth rate dropped to a record low. The average number of children per woman over their lifetime—known as the total fertility rate—rose to just over 1.66 per woman. That figure remains below the replacement level of 2.1—the rate at which the population will, on average, replace itself.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

MAYOR'S WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

 This week Mayor's highlight was attending the Candy Bomber Tribute at the new airport terminal. Check out the video highlight!

FUN STUFF

Enjoy the weekly collection of memes!








Well, that’s it for me.  Enjoy your upcoming holiday weekend. Hopefully, you are able to spend time with family and friends!  That is definitely my plan!

Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...