Tuesday, May 31, 2022

May 31, 2022 Update

Sometimes I wonder if vacations are even worth it.  While you are gone things are great, but coming back to dozens of emails, crowded calendars and voicemails to deal with seems a bit overwhelming.  But, really, we had a great time.  Other than for work meetings, Julie and I have not been away for a trip like this since the pandemic began.  We had a wonderful time in San Diego.  We played sightseeing tourists, enjoyed a nice wedding day with a nephew and his family, and ate some amazing seafood, and maybe the best smoked brisket I have ever tasted - including during our 8 years in Kansas City.  

SeaWorld was lots of fun, but the San Diego Zoo Safari Park kind of blew us away.  I wish we had programmed two days there.  And we spent about 7 hours exploring the ever amazing San Diego Zoo on Saturday - and walked almost 19,000 steps if my phone counted them correctly.  

Special thanks to Amanda Ercanbrack, John Borget, Dixon Holmes, and Carla Gordon for guest hosting the Daily Updates last week.  I hope you all enjoyed getting to know them a little better.  They are a big part of the reason why I love my job!  

Here are a few photos from our San Diego time.  





UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28
Utah COPA POP Concert I May 23 7:30 pm
Studio K Dance Recital I May 24 7:00 pm
Studio 1 Solo Showcase I May 26 4:00 pm
Studio 1 Spring Recital I May 26 7:00 pm
Elevate Contemporary Ballet and Gala I June 3 2022 5:30 pm
Elevate Minis Recital I June 4 4:00 pm
Elevate Recital I June 4 7:00 pm
Movies in the Park: Shrek 2 I June 6 8:00 pm
No Pressure Book Group I June 7 7:00 pm
Jive Spring Concert: Riverton I June 10 - June 11
Movies in the Park: Sing 2 I June 13 8:00 pm
Movies in the Park: Hercules I June 20 8:00 pm
Provo Market I July 23 10:00 am
The Tom Proctor Band I June 24 7:30 pm
Ammon and Liahona I June 25 6:00 pm
Motown & More I July 1 7:30 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Gas prices hit an all-time high in the Beehive State during the Memorial Day weekend as thousands of vacationers were in the middle of their road trips. According to GasBuddy's live ticking average, Americans are shelling out between $4.60 - $4.62 for a gallon of fuel on Monday. The national record so far is $4.62, which was set on May 25. Utahns - and those driving through Utah - are paying a little more, though.
  • Gene-edited tomatoes may provide a new, nonanimal source of vitamin D; an estimated one billion people worldwide lack sufficient amounts of the nutrient, which can lead to low bone density and neurological disorders.
  • Russia and China held a military exercise during President Biden's recent visit to Japan.
  • "Top Gun: Maverick" hauls in $156M over Memorial Day weekend at North American box office, the best Memorial Day debut in history.
  • Russian troops advance into Severodonetsk, the last remaining city in the eastern Luhansk region under Ukrainian control.
  • The US is once again home to the world's top supercomputer, with Oak Ridge National Laboratory's Frontier facility ranked No. 1 in the semiannual list of the world's 500 most powerful systems. Japan's Fugaku system had held the top spot for the past two years.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

TUESDAY TIP

How humility and transparency can reassure employees 

Getting out of your comfort zone, keeping your ego in check and being transparent and honest with employees can help you bring calm to your company in difficult times, write Rasmus Hougaard, Jacqueline Carter and Rob Stembridge of Potential Project. "Caring transparency helps to put leaders on the same page as their employees which in turn drives positive outcomes," they write.

FUN STUFF

Time for a little Bruno Mars and Silk Sonic from the Billboard Music Awards program a couple of weeks ago.  I know I probably overdo this group, but I love their sound.  It hits all my favorite music genres with lots of brass, soul, and funk, and a hint of jazz - all in one musical ensemble.  It was a good one for me to listen to as I was paying $6.18/gallon for gas in California.  So,  get your groove on - but remember that you are at work!   




Hope you have a great day.  It is great to be back!  

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...