Wednesday, June 1, 2022

June 1, 2022 Update

I hope you are having a great day!  Things have been busy in our office.  We met with BYU leadership today in our monthly meeting, and realized that the next time we host them (we rotate between a location on the campus and the Mayor's Conference Room), we will be meeting in the new city hall.  That gave me a bit of a reality check that I have to make some more time to get ready for the move.  We also met and reviewed some proposed changes to the draft conservation and resiliency plan, and I also had a Zoom meeting with the vice-president of Brixton Capital - owners of the Provo Towne Centre Mall to talk about their current status.  Later today I have an accident review board meeting and our monthly meeting with UDOT Region 3 leadership.  

Unfortunately, one of the really important things I missed last week was the retirement party for my friend Randy Barney in the Energy Department.  Randy has been a "fixture" in Provo for many years.  He has been an important part of our development review team, and he was one of my tutors for the 6 months when I was acting director in the Energy Department.  I will miss seeing him and working with him and certainly wish him well moving forward in this next chapter of his life's story.  

And today, we are highlighting the latest installment in the Provo Advantage series showing how Provo is leading the way in the economic vitality of the state and the region by highlighting the airport and the growth and development of aviation in our valley.  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28
Utah COPA POP Concert I May 23 7:30 pm
Studio K Dance Recital I May 24 7:00 pm
Studio 1 Solo Showcase I May 26 4:00 pm
Studio 1 Spring Recital I May 26 7:00 pm
Elevate Contemporary Ballet and Gala I June 3 2022 5:30 pm
Elevate Minis Recital I June 4 4:00 pm
Elevate Recital I June 4 7:00 pm
Utah Premiere Brass I June 5 -  June 19
Movies in the Park: Shrek 2 I June 6 8:00 pm
No Pressure Book Group I June 7 7:00 pm
Jive Spring Concert: Riverton I June 10 - June 11
Movies in the Park: Sing 2 I June 13 8:00 pm
Movies in the Park: Hercules I June 20 8:00 pm
Provo Market I July 23 10:00 am
The Tom Proctor Band I June 24 7:30 pm
Ammon and Liahona I June 25 6:00 pm
Motown & More I July 1 7:30 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Our Memorial Day weekend storm delivered much-needed rain and snow to our dry state! 
  • The monkeypox outbreak rose to more than 250 cases across 23 countries, with 12 US cases. The good news: experts say an epidemic is unlikely, and that the virus poses only a moderate risk to public health.
  • Lumber prices have dropped more than 50% since March as rising interest rates are deflating the market.
  • Two men decided to hide a chest with $5,000 in the Utah mountains during the pandemic, and leaving clues to find it online. This year, they're upping the ante by hiding $20,000.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

One of the ideas that came through the earlier survey was the desire to make the update more interactive.  So, today we are asking you to check out this section (on the right -->) where we will include polls and questions for you, as well as a form where you can highlight a coworker or tell us about what you do for the city! This can range from new babies or weddings to just wanting to give a shout-out to a fellow employee. Fill out the questions on the left, then upload pictures for us to share using the link below!  We will post your responses in upcoming editions of the update.

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

EMPLOYEE / DEPARTMENT HIGHLIGHT

Our Economic Development Department has been hard at work showcasing the Provo Advantage. Here's an example of their emails updating stakeholders on why Provo is Economically Vibrant:

Logo

Dear Wayne,

The new Provo Airport terminal will create jobs, expand the economy, and continue to enhance Provo as the transportation hub of Utah County and beyond! It’s obvious why the Provo Airport has been chosen for this month’s Provo Advantage.

Provo City is Flying High!

Provo City is flying high with the grand opening of our new four-gate, 75,000 square foot airport terminal. Our partner, Allegiant Air kicked off the celebration with their announcement of a five-plane base of operations, as well as new destinations.

Watch Video

Airport Ribbon Cutting

A $55 million-dollar generational project does not happen without a little help from your friends. We were honored to be joined by representatives from the city, county, state, and federal agencies as we celebrated with a ribbon cutting.

Watch Video

If you’ve done much flying, the name of David Neeleman will sound familiar. As the founder of four airlines and the current CEO of Breeze Airways, Neeleman put his stamp of approval on Provo’s new airport terminal by also announcing a four-plane base of operations with five new destinations.

The economic ripple continues to build with each new daily destination bringing an impressive $15 million into the local, regional and state economy. See a snapshot of the economic impact with our Provo Airport by the Numbers

Evolution of the Provo Airport

Did you know the Provo Airport had its beginnings in a beet field in 1940? Watch the evolution of the Provo Airport from Provo’s First Family of Flight to now becoming a growing regional airport.

Watch Video

Provo Airport Virtual Tour

Now that you know the history let’s take you on virtual tour of this new state-of-the art terminal poised to transform travel in Utah County and beyond. For the full 360 experience, use you mouse to view each space in its entirety.

View Virtual Tour

New Terminal to Generate Millions Economically

Still want to know more, take a deep dive into this month’s white paper on the Economic Impact generated by the new Provo Airport terminal.

Download Whitepaper

You Tell A Friend, And They Tell A Friend, And They Tell A Friend…

Our goal is to spread the word about the many advantages that Provo has to offer. Please share this email with others that you feel will benefit. Have anyone who wants to be added to our mailing list send that request to bgarlick@provo.org. With the summer travel season right around the corner, it’s a perfect time to highlight June’s Provo Advantage: Quality of life in Provo.

Provo City Economic Development

Keith Morey | 801.852.6432 | 
kmorey@provo.org
Brent Garlick | 801.852.6175 | 
bgarlick@provo.org

Website: provo.org/departments/economic-development

FUN STUFF

Finally today - having just been to SeaWorld, I can kind of relate to this video.  Yeah - I know it's not Disneyland, but I saw a few dads like these guys there.  Minus the Millennium Falcon, of course.  




Have a great evening.  Back at you tomorrow!

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...