I wanted to take a minute and highlight my friend Gary McGinn who announced his retirement effective August 31. Gary is one of only three department heads who were here as department heads when I arrived 18 years ago. Gary was a member of our "Strike Force Prosperity" that created the foundation for so much of our recent economic development success. He and I worked together with other team members to put on the Provo +50 Summit, in which we brought 200 community stakeholders together to envision Provo fifty years into the future. That exercise has helped inform numerous planning efforts over the years since. I extend my personal thanks to Gary for so many years of dedicated and effective service, and wish him well in the next step in his life and career.
UPCOMING CITY EVENTS
1820 The Musical I August 6 - September 11
The Diaries of Adam and Eve I July 29 - August 21
Food Truck Roundup I August 12 5:30 - 8:30 pm
Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I August 12 6:30 - 7:00 pm
Crochet Club: Bags I August 12 7:00 - 8:00 pm
Minecraft Club: For Teens I August 20 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Tween Academy: Jade Mountain Academy I August 21 11:00 - 1:00 pm
Provo City Library Writing Group I August 21 1:00 - 2:00 pm
Authorlink with Rosalyn Eves: Beyond the Mapped Stars I August 26 7:00 pm
Lunchbox Hacks I September 1 7:00 pm
Provo City Library Writing Group I August 21 1:00 - 2:00 pm
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- Today is National Potato Day. Don't forget to boil them, mash them, stick them in a stew!
- Scientists in China discovered an ancient turtle egg with a turtle in it. The turtle that laid the egg is estimated to have a shell as long as a human is tall.
- A supercomputer in Switzerland has successfully calculated pi to its first 62.8 trillion decimal places, setting a record for the infinite number. This effort beat the old record by about 200 fewer days and 12.8 trillion additional decimal places.
PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA
YOUR VOICE
Don't forget to share your news in the section on the right and upload photos below!
MAYOR'S WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS
This week the Mayor participated with state and local officials in a press conference on the state's redistricting efforts. Every ten years the state has to redraw congressional and state legislative districts based on new census data, and this year our residents get to engage in that process online and in person. She spoke with the media and with officials from the Independent Redistricting Commission to encourage public engagement in the process over the next couple of months.The Mayor is also hosting an event this evening at the Provo Recreation Center for the South Utah County Mayors and their families. Building great relationships with other cities and their mayors is an important role and those relationships have enormous impact on Provo's growth and progress.
FUN STUFF
Welcome to this week's favorite Internet memes!
Have a great weekend, and stay safe in the typically unpredictable summer weather. (I am taking some grandkids to the Salt Lake Bees game on Friday evening, so I hope we don't get rained out).
Wayne
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.