Happy Monday! I hope you had a nice weekend. Julie and I were able to take our daughter and two of our grandkids to a double header at the Salt Lake Bees on Friday evening. It was a great time, and fun to introduce my 6 year old grandson to some of nuances of professional baseball - including why different home plate umpires say the word "strike" differently.
UPCOMING CITY EVENTS
1820 The Musical I August 6 - September 11
Authorlink with Rosalyn Eves: Beyond the Mapped Stars I August 26 7:00 pm
Rock The Canyon I August 28 4:00 pm - 8:00pmLunchbox Hacks I September 1 7:00 pm
Provo City Library Writing Group I September 4 1:00 - 2:00 pm
The Alibis I September 30 - October 23
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- Today is National Cuban Sandwich Day and National Sponge Cake Cake Day. Lunch, anyone?
- BYU has announced that they will be requiring masks indoors on campus starting August 23rd.
- Salt Lake Mayor Erin Mendenhall used her emergency powers to order that masks be worn in K-12 schools in Salt Lake. Utah legislators are saying she does not have the authority as a mayor to do so. They are stating that "her order is not enforceable" and say they will pass legislation to restrict mayors' ability to act.
- The Parley's Canyon Fire is now 100% contained. Thank you to the many brave men and women who worked tirelessly and ensured that none of the thousands of homes threatened were destroyed or damaged.
YOUR VOICE
We love seeing your fun news and events and will continue to post them every week! Keep sharing in the form on the right and uploading photos below!
PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA
HOT-BUTTON ITEMS IN PROVO
Let's talk about efforts with the Utah County Health Department to encourage residents to consider getting the Covid-19 vaccine.One of our fundamental beliefs and values is that people armed with helpful and accurate information will make good decisions that benefit the community. I have always used this kind of standard in my own decision making. Part of my process is to consider whether a well-informed resident, knowing what I know, would make the same decision I am proposing to make. If so, I generally think I am on the right track.
At the request of the Municipal Council, the City is collaborating with the Utah County Health Department (UCHD) to identify effective ways that we can get critical and accurate information into the hands of our residents who may be delaying or resisting being vaccinated against Covid-19. The very contagious Delta variant is leading to a large number of new cases and challenges with available hospital resources. Statistics suggest that the vast majority of new positive cases are being experienced by unvaccinated people.
Studies suggest that the most effective and valuable information about vaccines comes from a trusted and familiar healthcare professional like a family doctor, an internist or a pediatrician. That source of information is seen as far more credible than government, social services, the media or social media. When a person has a conversation with that trusted healthcare advisor, he or she is more likely to get their questions answered and make an informed decision.
Accordingly, the plan that is being developed by the UCHD, assisted by the City staff focuses on helping healthcare providers learn how to most effectively interact and provide vaccination information for their patients and their families.
The other critical factor is making sure we remove barriers to access for vaccinations. Addressing that concern, UCHD is working hard to create more readily available vaccines in pharmacies, doctor's offices, and mobile vaccination centers in areas that are traditionally underserved.
We will be reviewing the latest draft plans with the City Council this week in a joint presentation between our staff and UCHD. Our hope is to improve access to customized and personalized information for our residents to make good decisions in collaboration with their trusted health professionals and in locations that make vaccines easier to get.
FUN STUFF
Many of you know that I love being a dad and I even wrote a book about my experiences. So I am a sucker for experiences of how dads find out they are going to be dads (the first time or any other time). This one for a passionate Star Wars fans is among my favorites.
Hope your day goes well!
Wayne



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.