Monday, September 13, 2021

September 13, 2021 Update

Let me begin today - first day back after ten days of family vacation (or staycation) to announce that the rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated (as Mark Twain famously didn't say).  I'm happy to report that I enjoyed a week and a half of time with my family, and especially our son who was visiting from Florida before being deployed with the Coast Guard to a Middle East assignment later this fall.

I heard from some city employees wondering if I had retired or been fired - neither rumor is true.  I am still here - hoping to continue to serve as long as I can and to work with our amazing team of city employees and elected officials.

BTW, we had a great week and a half with family.  We did two hikes, had family barbeques, went to see Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings which I totally enjoyed, and generally enjoyed great weather.  I also REALLY enjoyed the Rivalry Game on Saturday evening.  

I also appreciate our guest hosts covering the Daily Update last week - Dixon, Cliff and Isaac - while I was gone .  I hope you enjoyed hearing from some other voices.  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I September 14 6:30pm
Conversaciones / Conversations I September 14 7:00pm
Crochet Club: Halloween! I September 14 7:00pm
Dazzle Dogzz! I September 20 6:00pm
Sabrina Allen Excellence Concert I September 20 7:30pm
Learn It: Cooking with Fall Spices I September 21 7:00pm
The Alibis I September 30 - October 23
Catapult I October 26 7:30pm
Ammon and Liahona Olayan I October 27 7:30pm
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • The unrest in South Africa has made global news as South Africans attempt to rally and protect property as violence rages. The damages look devastating.
  • Love tacos? Want to get paid to eat, talk about, and post about tacos? McCormick might have a job for you! They are hiring a "Director of Taco Relations". Yes, really.
  • Two friends decided to visit every city in Utah. It took them 2 years to complete their journey.

YOUR VOICE

One of the ideas that came through the earlier survey was the desire to make the update more interactive.  So, today we are asking you to check out this section (on the right -->) where we will include polls and questions for you, as well as a form where you can highlight a coworker or tell us about what you do for the city! This can range from new babies or weddings to just wanting to give a shout-out to a fellow employee. Fill out the questions on the left, then upload pictures for us to share using the link below!  We will post your responses in upcoming editions of the update.  



PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA



HOT-BUTTON ITEMS IN PROVO

One thing we are starting to get questions on is how the proposed federal mandate on vaccinations or weekly testing might apply to Provo City.  The answer is we aren't quite sure yet.  The regulations will come from the Department of Labor and we haven't seen any "fine print" yet.  We are not alone in the effort to figure all of this out.  As soon as we know how these regulations will or will not apply to the City, we will be sure and let you know.  

Here is an interesting article from the New York Times about the proposed vaccination mandate in general, and there is no specific guidance about local governments - yet.  


FUN STUFF

So, we occasionally see some interesting things when we pass through Las Vegas on the way to Southern California.  But I haven't ever seen someone mix up a coin changer for a slot machine.  But, here goes....



Hope you are having a good day, and I'm happy to be back in the saddle and work with the Provo team!


Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...