Thursday, September 9, 2021

Thursday September 9 2021 Update

One of the biggest surprises to me, serving these last three plus years for the city, is how impressed I have consistently been with the people working for Provo City. Coming in my first day, I did not anticipate that. I'm grateful to work and associate with some of the best people I know, including some of the brightest and most gifted, here at the city.

My chance to be a guest host falls on an interesting day. I just returned from hearing Mayor Kaufusi speak about the events of 9/11. As she was kind to mention, I was in DC and remember looking out a window from work and seeing smoke rising from the Pentagon. A friend of ours was pulling into the Pentagon parking lot and had the impression that a plane was about to hit it. He chose to drive away. Others in our circle were not so blessed. 

Today is also my son’s birthday. You may have heard he passed away in April. We recently received a letter from the recipient of his heart. It was a four-page, handwritten note from a 22-year-old (same age Josh would be) who has had heart problems his whole life and had been told that he would never leave the hospital again without a new heart. He wrote that our son’s heart is beating strong in him and that he is so grateful he gets to now experience a normal life, something he said he has never experienced before. Josh was an EMT and studying to become a firefighter. Impacting others for good was at his very core. It's almost incomprehensible how his desire to rescue and lift others was met in this powerful way. 

I suppose a common tie to all the above is:

life is precious

people are what matter most. 

 

Isaac 


UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

1820 The Musical I August 6 - September 11
Festival Latinoamericano I September 3 - 6
Puppy Paddle Pool Party I September 11 10:00am
Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I September 14 6:30pm
Conversaciones / Conversations I September 14 7:00pm
Crochet Club: Halloween! I September 14 7:00pm
Dazzle Dogzz! I September 20 6:00pm
Sabrina Allen Excellence Concert I September 20 7:30pm
Learn It: Cooking with Fall Spices I September 21 7:00pm
The Alibis I September 30 - October 23
Catapult I October 26 7:30pm
Ammon and Liahona Olayan I October 27 7:30pm
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22


YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!



NEWS YOU CAN USE


PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA





MAYOR'S WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

This week Mayor Kaufusi was able to participate and speak at the United Way Day of Caring. She was able to share her thoughts and feelings as we commemorate 9-11 and was able to share Isaac's experience working in DC when the plane crashed into the Pentagon. The Day of Caring is a wonderful opportunity to provide service to our community, and today especially, it was a wonderful way to remember those who sacrificed on 9-11, 20 years ago. Many of you participated and we are grateful for your willingness to serve! Thanks again to Kat Linford and Tara Riddle for your part in organizing this event for our city employees!

FUN STUFF

The first meme made me bust out loud, but when my wife shared it with our extended family, no one responded. So here’s my off humor, plus some others gathered by the team here.



























Have a great weekend!

Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...