Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Wednesday September 8 2021 Update

Hello!

I feel privileged to contribute to Wayne’s blog today. There are many things happening this week. Yesterday, the Municipal Council met and for the people in the Council Office we begin today to follow up on decisions made yesterday and prepare for the next meeting in two weeks. I can tell you the Council appreciates the great work you do and the contribution you make to our community.

Recently, I was asked to take on a volunteer role. Hesitantly, I asked what is it that I would need to do. I was told what the end goal was (which I knew) when I was really wanting to know what I would do day to day to make an impact. Once I knew what needed to be done, I had a better understanding of how my work contributes.

Stephen Covey, author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, addressed this with Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind which “means to begin each day, task, or project with a clear vision of your desired direction and destination, and then continue by flexing your proactive muscles to make things happen. ... It reaffirms who you are, puts your goals in focus, and moves your ideas into the real world.”

The work we do is important to the quality of life in the community. We contribute each in our own way and within our own departments. Sometimes the work we do in municipalities is unnoticed or unappreciated until something goes wrong. Be proud of the work you do, you are contributing to the lives of real people, including your own. Albert Schweitzer said “Every kind of service necessary to the public good becomes honorable by being necessary.” Your service is necessary and your work is honorable. Thank you for making Provo City a wonderful place to live and work.


UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

1820 The Musical I August 6 - September 11
Festival Latinoamericano I September 3 - 6
Provo City Library Writing Group I September 4 1:00pm
Puppy Paddle Pool Party I September 11 10:00am
Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I September 14 6:30pm
Conversaciones / Conversations I September 14 7:00pm
Crochet Club: Halloween! I September 14 7:00pm
Dazzle Dogzz! I September 20 6:00pm
Sabrina Allen Excellence Concert I September 20 7:30pm
Learn It: Cooking with Fall Spices I September 21 7:00pm
The Alibis I September 30 - October 23
Catapult I October 26 7:30pm
Ammon and Liahona Olayan I October 27 7:30pm
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22

NEWS YOU CAN USE


PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA





YOUR VOICE

Share some fun activities, announcements, and anything else you would like in the section on the right (-->)  and upload photos below! 



EMPLOYEE / DEPARTMENT HIGHLIGHT





Our very own Cathy Smits had a proud mom moment on Facebook we would love to share./ This one is near and dear to my heart as my son is home visiting from his most recent stint in the Coast Guard.
Her son Payson will be serving in the Navy for 4 years and was selected for aviation mechanics. Congratulations Payson and Cathy! We wish your son the best of luck as he serves the USA!

FUN STUFF

I love video clips of shows I enjoy. This one is one of the many great pranks on The Office. What are the best pranks you have seen in your offices? I’ll share two: 1) A boss who paid back another employee by moving the employee’s office into the restroom. 2) Another prank involved putting a giant “U” logo on the outside window of an BYU fan on the top floor of the State Office Building. Please share yours with us.


A reminder that tomorrow is the United Way’s Day of Caring. Volunteering, whatever, whenever, and wherever you volunteer, is a great way to give back to your community and to see it differently. 

Cliff Strachan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...