Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Tuesday September 7 2021 Update


Greetings,

I hope you enjoyed your long Labor Day weekend - whether you stayed local or ventured out.  I was able to check the box, but I hope to do it again, on a revered mountain bike trail outside Bryce Canyon National Park with our youngest son Andrew.  Thunder Mountain is an 8-mile single track, with 1700 feet of downhill.  The red rock is in stark contract with the Juniper and Cedar trees.  It’s a beautiful setting to spend time with family and recharge.

With Wayne being out on vacation this week, he asked that I fill in today day for the daily blog post.  As we approach September 11th this Saturday, many of you may be reflecting on events of that day – where you were and what you were doing when you learned about the terrorist attack on our Country.  I was getting ready for work when my good friend and former Provo City Economic Development Director, Leland Gamette called and told me to turn on the television.  My first thought was that something had happened to the Mayor (Lewis Billings) at City Hall.  I was in shock and horrified what I saw on the TV.  The loss of life was tragic, but the heroic acts were inspiring.  

It’s hard to believe it has been 20 years.  So much has changed, yet so many things remain the same.  Tragedy still happens, yet good people still come together to serve each other, often people we don’t even know.  As you may be aware, many service opportunities are available to commemorate the service that was provided in the aftermath of that tragedy.  This Thursday morning Tara Riddle and Kat Linford have once again organized an opportunity for Provo City employees to provide local service.  If that does not work for your schedule, then consider going to www.justserve.org for other local opportunities.  For me, it’s a way to reflect on the past and find hope in the future. 


UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

1820 The Musical I August 6 - September 11
Festival Latinoamericano I September 3 - 6
Provo City Library Writing Group I September 4 1:00pm
Puppy Paddle Pool Party I September 11 10:00am
Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I September 14 6:30pm
Conversaciones / Conversations I September 14 7:00pm
Crochet Club: Halloween! I September 14 7:00pm
Dazzle Dogzz! I September 20 6:00pm
Sabrina Allen Excellence Concert I September 20 7:30pm
Learn It: Cooking with Fall Spices I September 21 7:00pm
The Alibis I September 30 - October 23
Catapult I October 26 7:30pm
Ammon and Liahona Olayan I October 27 7:30pm
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22

NEWS YOU CAN USE


YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below! 



PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA






TUESDAY TIP

Check out this article on 3 ways to alleviate frustration when things go wrong. "When things go wrong, get control of your thoughts, find a way forward and place the event in perspective instead of feeling defeated", writes TruPerception CEO Melissa DeLay. "Whatever doesn't kill you may hurt, but you will come away from it stronger and more knowledgeable than before," she writes.

FUN STUFF

Here is a fun dose of "embarrassing moments" to make you chuckle today.


















One of the great benefits of a Monday holiday, is the following weekend is that much closer.  I hope you have big plans with family and friends, and consider serving in a place that is needed.  

Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...