Monday, September 27, 2021

September 27 2021 Update

It's just another manic Monday here in Provo!  Just kidding.  As Mike Mower used to say to me when I first came to Provo, "Every day in Provo is amazing."  Julie and I had a wonderful Saturday this weekend.  Every fall our daughter who lives in the Uintah Basin puts on a benefit 5K run, and we got to spend the day in beautiful Bluebell, Utah helping with the race day activities.  If you don't know where Bluebell is, it is just a few miles from Altamont, which is about 17 miles from Duchesne.  Her husband's family runs the Bluebell Corn Maze, and the run is in and around the maze, which makes it pretty unique.

And we are making great progress on our bathroom cabinet project.  A couple of more days and we will have our garage back!   Plus, BYU got another home football win this weekend - not particularly pretty, but a win is a win!  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Acting Up: Beauty and the Beast I October 4 7:00 pm
Learn It: Inking for Inktober I October 5 2021 7:00 pm
Recipe Swap I October 6 7:00 pm
Conversaciones/Conversations I October 12 7:00 pm
Superhero Academy I October 16 11:00 am
Catapult I October 26 7:30pm
Ammon and Liahona Olayan I October 27 7:30pm

YOUR VOICE

We love hearing your highlights, big, small ,and everything in-between! Keep them coming in the section on the right and don't forget to include your name and a pic below if you want to share!


NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Utah's own Cornbelly's Corn Maze was ranked as one of the best in the U.S. for 2021. If you haven't gone, this might be the year to go!
  • Utah may be headed into fall with cooler temperatures and less pressure to water, but the emergency drought situation is by no means over. The state Drought Coordinator Brian Steed, who is also chairman of the Utah Drought Response Committee, wants leaders to extend the emergency drought declaration set to expire on Oct. 31 in order to continue to monitor the situation and meet regularly. 
  • Do the northern lights make sounds that you can hear? Although a study in 2016 declared that you can in fact hear the sounds, a new study suggests that conclusion is still shrouded in doubt.


PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA



HOT-BUTTON ITEMS IN PROVO

Is there anything many of our residents love more than parking on the street in front of their home?  When you try to take that on-street parking away, you quickly discover how much they value that parking.

But occasionally, we find ourselves needing to remove that on-street parking temporarily or permanently.  The City has an Active Transportation Plan which defines where we should have bicycle lanes to encourage more biking and less driving.  Our general policy has been to install on-street bike lanes when we resurface a street and then have to restripe it.  While people love a new street surface and clean, crisp striping, they usually don't love it when we stripe and sign a bike lane and eliminate their on-street parking.  It can be a real balancing act to try to figure out how to navigate this challenge.  

From a temporary parking standpoint, we will be placing no parking signs (daytime hours Monday through Friday) on the north side of the street for a few blocks of Quail Valley Drive during the construction at Timpview High School.  With construction going on in the parking lot at the high school, many off-street parking spaces have been eliminated, pushing student parking on to the streets in the neighborhood.  This has created some serious safety issues for drivers, pedestrians, and construction crews in the area.  

Always a tough issue to handle, our parking team in Community and Neighborhood Services and our Engineering Division work hard to find just the right balance.  


FUN STUFF

Today's special musical number comes from the Rogers Family with a cover of the Jonas Brothers "Sucker."  Seeing six siblings play one piano is worth a few minutes to watch.  Maybe one of the reasons I love music is that it is not in my basic skill set.  But I get a little envious of talent and skills like this.



Hope you have been having a good Monday.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the week!

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...