Wednesday, September 29, 2021

September 29 2021 Update

It is a cool and moist Wednesday except in my office, which has averaged about 85 degrees yesterday and today.  Our amazing facilities team is doing their best to get the issue solved, and it now looks like they will need to bring in an HVAC specialist to climb up above the ceiling and make a repair.  But - windows and open and fans are going, and I am surviving the heat!

Today is the beginning of the Utah League of Cities and Towns annual conference in Salt Lake City.  It is a great opportunity each fall for local officials (elected and appointed) to get together for some excellent training, to compare notes, and to hear from thought leaders about the trends facing local government in  Utah and beyond.  The Mayor and some of our council members and others from the city staff will be attending all or part of the conference today, tomorrow and Friday.




UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Acting Up: Beauty and the Beast I October 4 7:00 pm
Hocus Pocus Outdoor Movie I October 4 8:00 pm
Learn It: Inking for Inktober I October 5 2021 7:00 pm
Recipe Swap I October 6 7:00 pm
Conversaciones/Conversations I October 12 7:00 pm
Superhero Academy I October 16 11:00 am
Catapult I October 26 7:30pm
Ammon and Liahona Olayan I October 27 7:30pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Utah’s economy is strong, and unemployment is lower than the national average, but one economist said economic growth can also present challenges in the labor pool. Many businesses across the country, and here in Utah, have and still struggle to find staff.
  • If you are planning on attending an event at Vivint Arena, you will now be required to show proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have had a negative PCR test result within 72 hours of the event start time to gain entry to the arena.
  • While conducting excavations in Germany, scientists from the Universities of Tübingen and Zaragoza discovered a previously unknown otter species from 11.4-million-year-old strata. The new species was named Vishnuonyx neptuni, meaning Neptune’s Vishnu otter.

YOUR VOICE

I have been getting great feedback on all of the fun highlights you are sharing with us! Please keep the m coming and let other city employees get to know you better!


PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA





EMPLOYEE / DEPARTMENT HIGHLIGHT

Today's employee highlight comes from Dixon Holmes:

I recently completed a California Coastline bike ride with my cousin We started north of the Golden Gate Bridge and rode south to near Santa Barbara. It was a bucket list accomplishment.

FUN STUFF

So last evening I drove after work to a local pharmacy to pick up a prescription.  The line at the pharmacy was out the door, so I decided to take my chances at the drive up window.  I was the fourth car in line and thought I had "nailed it."  The first two cars breezed through the line, and the one in front of me literally took 30 minutes to get their prescription.  When it was finally my turn, I was pulling out literally 90 seconds after I pulled up.  So, long waits at drive throughs are among my biggest pet peeves.  

That experience reminded me of a Studio C sketch I saw last week about a drive-thru experience.  Initially, I just thought I could identify with Kevin as a recovering "junk food junkie" but now I see it in a different light - from the perspective of the folks in line behind him!



Anyway, I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!  Back at you tomorrow with the ever popular favorite internet memes of the week.  

Wayne


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...