Happy Wednesday. My time off continues today with some family events, including playing with kids and grandkids and a picnic at the Spanish Oaks reservoir. Guest hosting for the Daily Update starts next week, and I hope you enjoy a little fresh perspective from some of my friends and colleagues here at the City. I'll let the guest hosts be a surprise - just for fun! But I can tell you that you will enjoy getting to know a bit more about the people behind the names you hear frequently!
UPCOMING CITY EVENTS
1820 The Musical I August 6 - September 11
Lunchbox Hacks I September 1 7:00 pm
Provo City Library Writing Group I September 4 1:00 - 2:00 pm
Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I September 14 6:30 pm
Conversaciones / Conversations I September 14 7:00 pm
Crochet Club: Halloween! I September 14 7:00 pm
The Alibis I September 30 - October 23
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22
Blue Skies Concert Series I Wednesdays through September 22
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- Twix seasoning is being released today at Sam's club exclusively, and apparently you're supposed to try it on chicken wings. I have to admit, I'm curious.
- Governor Cox is set to pitch ideas on safety in schools to lawmakers this week due to Covid cases rising.
- For a bit of happy news, a US WWII veteran was reunited with Italians he saved as children.
- Astronomers have recently discovered that over a quarter of stars like our sun might eat their own planets. But as it turns out, it might end up being a good thing for us!
PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA
YOUR VOICE
We LOVE your highlights!!! Keep them coming in the form on the right! :)
EMPLOYEE / DEPARTMENT HIGHLIGHT
Detective Michael Hayes had a baby girl!!
Meet Audrey Ann Hayes. Born 1:05am 8/23/21. 8.9lbs and 19.5 inches. Both mom and baby are home and are doing great.
FUN STUFF
Today I wanted to share a video that isn't exactly fun, but more thought-provoking. I spend a fair amount of my "thinking time" thinking about community, neighbors and quality of life. This little clip from a forum event at BYU featuring New York Times columnist David Brooks summarizes in many ways how I feel about what we do collectively to build the Provo community. And I feel very fortunate to live and work in a place that values this kind of community more than lots of other places around the country and around the world. So, be prepared to be inspired about what we are all about.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
Wayne

Congratulations to Michael Hayes and his family! What an adorable baby!
ReplyDelete