Wednesday, October 13, 2021

October 13 2021 Update

It is Wednesday, and it has been a busy day.  Trying to catch time in between meetings has been a challenge.  Last evening's municipal council meeting went well.  The evening meeting was short (only one item) but the work meeting was full of interesting issues.  These included:

  • The council discussed how to react to state legislation that requires the city to permit accessory dwelling units in 33% of the land that is zoned for residential uses in the City.  Currently, only 20% of our residentially zoned land allows for these ADU's.  Accessory dwelling units are like basement or attic apartments that allow a separate family unit to live in an ADU in a dwelling that is owner occupied.  The Council is debating how they would decide on how best to get to the 33% threshold.  
  • The council reviewed a new parking management model framework that could be applied in areas in the city that have a shortage of on-street parking.  The model involves using a smart device app to pay for parking in these areas with "congestion pricing" that would adjust hourly rates based on the number of stalls that are currently occupied in the area.  The model will be rolled out for public engagement in the next week, and we will see how residents, students, landlords and other partners react.
  • The consultant retained by the County and the State to help determine the future of Bridal Veil Falls made a presentation to the council on their project and civic engagement efforts.

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Paranormal Percussion I October 15 - October 16
Superhero Academy I October 16 11:00 am
Crochet Club: Crochet Basics I October 19 2021 6:30 pm
Crochet Club: Hats I October 19 7:00 pm
Covey Tapestry of Dance I October 19 7:30 pm
Halloween Book Page Wreaths I October 20 7:00 pm
TrickTok or Treat I October 21 7:00 pm
AuthorLink with Brandon Mull I October 22 6:00 pm
Swing 4 Cancer Benefit Concert I October 23 4:00 pm
Teen Takeover: Magical Mayhem I October 23 6:30 pm
Paint Night I October 26 7:00 pm
Catapult I October 26 7:30pm
Learn It: All About Stress I October 27 7:00 pm
Ammon and Liahona Olayan I October 27 7:30pm
BYU Young Company: Luna I November 1 7:00 pm
Learn It: Buying Your First Home I November 2 7:00 pm
A Christmas Carol | December 02 - December 20
Light Up Christmas! I December 3 - December 4
The Alibis I February 7:30 pm

NEWS YOU CAN USE

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Thank you for continuing to share your exciting news in the section on the right! We love seeing your pictures and hearing your exciting news every Wednesday! Please keep sharing and check out this week's employee highlight  below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

EMPLOYEE / DEPARTMENT HIGHLIGHT

This week's highlight comes from Administrative Services' own John Borget. One of his hobbies is model rockets. What a cool hobby!

FUN STUFF

This is not your traditional "fun stuff" item, but it is one I am really proud of.  You may have read that Provo Parks and Recreation was recently recognized with the highest national award presented by the National Recreation and Parks Association - the Gold Medal - as the best such department in the United States for 2021.  It is a BIG DEAL!   I wanted to share with you the video that was included in their application materials.  I hope you burst a couple of buttons on your vest with pride to be associated with the superstars of their industry.




Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...