Monday, November 8, 2021

November 8 2021 Update

Welcome to a new week!  Mondays are always an interesting day given that the work of the city never stops over a weekend.  Days like this I am really grateful for the members of the Provo team that are working when family and friends are off having fun.  For those who protect our safety, keep our utilities running and keep staffing our facilities that are open on Saturdays and/or Sundays, we appreciate you!  

We are getting lots of questions about the federal vaccine/testing mandate and the recent appeals court decision issuing a temporary stay.  As you have probably followed, things are changing on an almost daily basis.  Our HR and Legal teams are working to help us keep track of the changing landscape, including what might change in tomorrow's special state legislative session.  We will keep you posted as things develop and the picture going forward begins to become clearer.

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Conversations/Conversaciones I November 9 7:00 pm
Fall Leaves for Families I November 10 6:30 pm
Harry Potter Trivia I November 10 7:00 pm
BYU Vocal Point I November 13 2:00 pm
Learn It: Medicare 101 I November 16 7:00 pm
Learn It: Gluten Free Cookies I November 17 7:00 pm
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I November 18 6:30 pm
Joshua Creek Christmas I November 29 7:00 pm
Ryan Shupe Christmas I November 30 7:30 pm
Learn It: Zentangle Holidays I December 1 7:00 pm
A Christmas Carol | December 02 - December 20
Light Up Christmas! I December 3 - December 4
The Alibis I February 7:30 pm

YOUR VOICE

Anything fun or exciting going on in your life? Do you have any fun hobbies? Did you make a really great meal last night? Well here's the place to share! We want to see your highlights and exciting moments! Remember, pics or it didn't happen! :)

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Details about the Biden administration's vaccine plan were released yesterday. Businesses with 100 or more employees must have all employees vaccinated against COVID-19 by Jan 4 or implement weekly testing. Violations of this federal mandate could mean fines up to $13, 600 per violation. Utah's political leaders are pushing back and vow to use every available avenue to fight the mandate.
  • Utah is considering different ways to help families afford child care, and are looking at tax credits, more children per adult, and different methods
  • Lawmakers are slated to vote on the Dixie State name to Utah Technical University change next week.
  • Utah County Veterans Services will host a Veterans Day Week open house, free for all veterans and the general public. The open house will run from Monday through Friday at the Utah County Historic Courthouse Rotunda, 51 S. University Ave., in Provo.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

HOT-BUTTON ITEMS IN PROVO


Let's talk scooters and bikes in Provo.  Almost two years ago now, the City entered into an agreement with a company called Zagster to operate a "micromobility" project for rental electric scooters with a plan for rental bicycles as well.  The City's motivation was to provide resources to make getting around Provo a bit easier for residents and visitors, and to help address the first-mile and last-mile access to transit and the new (at the time) UXV and Frontrunner systems.  The initial contract with Zagster was for a 12 month pilot program.  Midway through the pilot program, Covid-19 began to rear its ugly head, and people started working from home and not traveling as tourists, which significantly impacted the data on the viability of scooters.  Another casualty of Covid-19 on this pilot program was the loss of a key financial sponsor for the bicycle side of the program.

Additionally, Zagster was sold to new owners who were working with a different scooter brand, so we extended the pilot period.  Now, we are nearing the end of the pilot and we are analyzing data, talking with other scooter and bicycle program providers and evaluating our options.  

While it has been a difficult transition in some ways, we have also learned a lot and will be working on a decision about whether to move forward and what the format will look like.  So stay tuned!

FUN STUFF


Our very own Gene Nelson was a guest on Channel 5! They even loved him so much he will be back for Christmas! Check it out! 

I hope the rest of your day is great!  It is a real pleasure working with you.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...