As I mentioned yesterday, the Municipal Council held their last meeting of the year and congratulated Councilors Harding and Sewell on their service of 6 and 8 years on the Council respectively. We will miss them and their energy and passion for the job. But we are also excited to welcome two new councilors in January. More about Councilors-elect Rachel Whipple and Katrice Mackay in January!
Last evening, the Council voted to modestly expand the areas in the City in which accessory dwelling units will be allowed. After state legislation passed in the last legislative session, the City needed to have no more than 67% of the land mass of residential zones exempted from the state requirement to allow ADU's. Provo was close, but not in full compliance. While the Council's action brings us into compliance with state law, there is still an interest in exploring further expansion of eligible zones for ADU's to allow more affordable housing units in Provo and the new council will likely consider that issue in the new year.
UPCOMING CITY EVENTS
Conversaciones/Conversations I December 14 7:00 pm
Holiday Paint Night I December 15 7:00 pm
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I December 16 6:30 pm
A Christmas Carol I December 20 7:00 pm
Teen Book Club: Beehive Award Nominees I December 23 7:00 pm
Teens Talk: Share Your Hobby I December 30 7:00 pm
Countdown 2022 Party Animals I December 31 7:00 pm
Provo 2022 New Year's Eve Fireworks I December 31 9:00 pm
Alice, A Leader in Wonderland I January 4 7:00 pm
A Path To Wholeness by Lifehouse I January 8 2:00 pm
COPA Pop Concert I January 10 7:30 pm
Artistic Dance Winter Concert I January 11 7:00 pm
Cinderella by The Dance Conservatory I January 14 - January 15
We will also be hosting the inauguration of the mayor and three councilmembers on January 4 at 4:00 p.m. in the ballroom of the Provo City Library at Academy Square. Mark your calendars for that big event!
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- University of Utah has launched a scholarship program for all Utah valedictorian, salutatorian graduates.
- For a bit of irony for your day, the federal agency that measures racial diversity is led mostly by white people.
- While college enrollment is mostly down across the country, attendance in Utah has largely gone in the other direction. But there’s one area of growth in particular that points to the larger shifts taking place across the state’s higher education landscape. All but one of the state’s eight technical colleges had more students this year compared to last, according to data from the Utah System of Higher Education.
- Utah may be overusing its Colorado River allotment. That could lead to unprecedented cuts in water use.
YOUR VOICE
Thanks for sharing all of your exciting news! Please keep sharing, we love to hear what you have to share!!
UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!Catherine Draper from IS shared these photos of her kids out enjoying the first big snow of the season. Pictured are Ace and V playing in the Orem snow.
FUN STUFF
Have an excellent day! On a side note, I am needing to use or lose some vacation time at the end of the year, so I will be out of the office after tomorrow until January 4. So, the Daily Update will take a short break for that time period as well!
Wayne
Thanks for all these interesting and useful updates, Wayne. I try to faithfully read them, and I appreciate your efforts and the efforts of those who help you with these updates.
ReplyDelete