Monday, March 14, 2022

March 14 2022 Update

Happy Pi Day!  My oldest son's family celebrates each this day each year with a "savory pie" (usually pizza) and a sweet pie (usually cherry).  Tonight, I get to make our favorite air-fried meat pie for dinner (and we are still negotiating dessert).  I hope you have some fun Pi Day traditions.  

On a related note, if you have a couple of minutes, my wife's cousin's son took Pi to a whole new level in this little video from Facebook.  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Animal Symbolism Exhibit I March 14 3:00 pm
AuthorLink with Erin Stewart I March 15 7:00 pm
Conversaciones I March 15 7:00 pm
Crochet Basics I March 16 6:30 pm
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I March 16 6:30 pm
BYU Vocal Point I March 18 - March 19
Soundsation I March 15 7:00 pm
As You Like It I March 21 7:00 pm
Learn It: How to Podcast I March 22 7:00 pm
BYU Noteworthy I March 26 7:30 pm
Ukulele for Teens I March 31 7:00 pm
Bee Gees Gold: The Tribute I April 1 7:30 pm
Teen Volunteer Board I April 7 6:30 pm
Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28

YOUR VOICE

We love to hear your highlights! Keep them coming and keep your eyes out for the results of the Harry Potter House quiz later this week!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Today is Pi Day! Fun fact, Indiana's state legislature once tried to legislate the value of pi. 
  • Utah named its finalists for the nation’s top elementary teacher awards for math and science.
  • Provo Peaks Elementary School held its Family and Community night Thursday in an effort to connect families with local resources in a fun and interactive way. Local organizations including Safe Kids Utah, United Way 211, Y Serve, Family Haven and more were present to provide information, treats and prizes to families and community members.
  • The US is moving to join the European Union and other allies to revoke normal trade relations with Russia, allowing for new tariffs to be imposed on the country in response to its invasion of Ukraine. Doing so would mean stripping Russia's status as a "most favored nation"—a designation within the World Trade Organization that allows for few barriers to trade. But first, congress will need to pass legislation to officially remove Russia's most favored nation status.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA


HOT-BUTTON ITEMS IN PROVO

On tomorrow's city council agenda is an item that recommends approval for an increase in our wastewater impact fee.  I thought it might be good to share how the city assesses and uses impact fees and how they are paid by new development.

State law allows cities to charge impact fees to new development in the City.  The idea of an impact fee is to assess new development for the "impact" they create to our utilities.  Every time the City adopts a new utility master plan (like water, wastewater, stormwater, energy, parks, transportation or public safety facilities) the master plan looks at future projects on a ten year or longer planning horizon and defines what part of the project costs will support new growth in the community.  Then that impact is divided by the number of new expected units and the calculated fees are then charged to the owner at the time of the issuance of a building permit.  That fee can run quite high in Provo and other cities - in the thousands of dollars.

I know I made it sound easy and it is anything but easy to set the fees.  Not all housing units are the same, and commercial, institutional and industrial uses also create impacts and are assessed impact fees.  But you get the general gist behind the fee.  

As you might expect, there is a lot of outcry from developers and others protesting that this impacts the affordability of homes and then incentives of builders to build in a community.  But what folks sometimes miss is that someone has to pay for the cost of the utility infrastructure to support new growth, and it will either be those who are creating the growth or those who are already here paying taxes and utility fees.  We can't simply look the other way or our residents and utility customers will be asked to pay more if we don't have impact fees.

These fees are an important component to our being able to be forward looking and prepared for planned growth.  

FUN STUFF

Last week, we highlighted a new police officer lip sync video.  This video is a little dated and kind of blurry, but this officer takes the opportunity to do a dance off occasionally on his patrols in a large residential community.  Kind of a good reminder of the good things our law enforcement professionals do to build a sense of connection and community wherever they work.




Thanks for all you do.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...