Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Wednesday March 23 2022 Update

Happy Wednesday! Today has been a busy day. We met this morning with public safety officials from Orem to discuss ways we can better cooperate and offer better service to Provo and Orem residents. We have a long and positive partnership with our neighboring cities, and we have a lot in common with Orem. It is always good to connect and collaborate with our friends in Orem.

This evening marks the start of the annual member meetings with the Utah Municipal Power Agency (UMPA). UMPA is our wholesale power provider and is a consortium of six cities that purchase power jointly to serve our residents. We will be discussing trends in the energy sector, reviewing power requirements and resources, and better understanding how market forces - and things like inflation and wars in Europe - will impact energy prices here in Provo for the next few years.  

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

BYU Vocal Point I March 18 - March 19
Soundsation I March 15 7:00 pm
As You Like It I March 21 7:00 pm
Learn It: How to Podcast I March 22 7:00 pm
BYU Noteworthy I March 26 7:30 pm
Ukulele for Teens I March 31 7:00 pm
Bee Gees Gold: The Tribute I April 1 7:30 pm
Teen Volunteer Board I April 7 6:30 pm
Not War by Music - UVYSO I April 11 7:30 pm
CSYP's Suessical Jr. I April 19 7:00 pm
Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • Yesterday was World Water Day. Did you know that 2 billion people on the planet currently don't have access to safe water? If you're looking for a way to help, check out Charity Water. They do great work and 100% of donations go directly to helping get clean water to those who need it.
  • Australia's Great Barrier Reef has been suffering from mass coral bleaching, authorities said Friday. Rising ocean temperatures cause healthy corals to expel algae from their tissues, draining their colors. The report comes ahead of UNESCO's review of the reef's World Heritage listing. 
  • The selling price of a football from Tom Brady's touchdown pass to Tampa Bay Buccaneers receiver Mike Evans in the 2022 NFC Divisional was $518,628. The ball was sold at an auction just a day before Brady announced he was unretiring.
  • Russia demanded that the city of Mariupol surrender by 5 am Monday morning in Ukraine. They said no. It remains 'hell on earth' for the people trapped there. The last EU diplomat to go, Greece's consul general left Mariupol this weekend. Others are telling of the ghastly conditions in the city as Russia tries to starve them out.

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA

YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

WEDNESDAY TIP

Why you want employees to ask, "Why?" 

Study participants who received nudges to ask more "Why?"-based questions were able to create more cross-departmental connections than people whose curiosity wasn't piqued, according to Harvard Business School professor and researcher Francesca Gino. Managers who express such curiosity openly can set a strong example for their teams, Gino says.

FUN STUFF

Ok - this little video is fun! An entire elementary school collaborates with hopeful young man to orchestrate the epic proposal moment for a kindergarten teacher. Enjoy - and try not to cry!


  

Hope you have a great day.   Keep up the good work and stay safe!  

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...