Tuesday, April 5, 2022

April 5 2022 Update

I hope your Tuesday is going well.  We had a little complication in our family yesterday - Julie had her passenger side mirror clipped out on I-80 near Saltair yesterday morning as she was headed out to her sister's home in Stansbury Park.  Driver of a truck towing a travel trailer drifted into her lane and fortunately all he hit was the mirror.  Super glad she was OK; it could have been a lot worse.  But now we are dealing with insurance companies, body shops, etc.  Life always seems to throw these kinds of issues at us, doesn't it?

On an unrelated note, I really enjoyed watching the NCAA basketball championship game last evening.  After our 9 years living in Kansas City early in my career, I have been kind of partial to the Kansas Jayhawks, but I also love the Tar Heels at UNC and their similar long tradition of elite basketball.  And the story of a first year coach taking an 8-seed team to the NCAA final is one of the classics in sport.  It was an exciting game right down to the wire, and was absolutely the best men's college basketball has to offer.  And it is time to break out my Jayhawks gear!  

And today, we have a three hour meeting involving the Finance team and rotating department directors as we take a first look at the city budget and supplemental requests for the coming fiscal year.  It is always an exciting time as we consider how to prioritize key requests for the budget.  Three items driving many budget discussions this year are:
  • The move into our larger and more complex new city hall and public safety facility
  • The opening of the new passenger terminal at the airport and trying to entice new airlines to join us there
  • The pressures of inflation on city services, our employees, and our residents

UPCOMING CITY EVENTS

Teen Volunteer Board I April 7 6:30 pm
Not War by Music - UVYSO I April 11 7:30 pm
Crochet Basics I April 19 6:30 pm
Paint Night I April 19 7:00 pm
CSYP's Suessical Jr. I April 19 7:00 pm
Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club I April 21 6:30 pm
Make Your Own Stress Ball I April 26 7:00 pm
Courtyard Book Sale I April 30 11:00 am
Steel Magnolias I May 5 - May 28

NEWS YOU CAN USE

  • The U.S. Olympic Committee supports Salt Lake’s bid, despite controversy about Utah’s transgender sports bill.
  • In the eyes of Utahns, only one group might have more sway than the governor — and that’s leaders of the Utah Legislature.
  • If you're looking for a heart-warming story, this Utah fourth grader wrote a letter asking for better toilet paper at school. Then the district responded.
  • The renowned dinosaur tracks near Moab were damaged recently, and many believe that if more care had been taking the damage wouldn't have occurred.
  • Bodies with bound hands, close-range gunshot wounds and signs of torture lay scattered in a city on the outskirts of Kyiv after Russian soldiers withdrew from the area. Ukrainian authorities accused the departing forces on Sunday of committing war crimes and leaving behind a “scene from a horror movie.”

PROVO SOCIAL MEDIA


YOUR VOICE

Have any exciting news? Birthdays, babies, weddings, fur-babies, graduations? Share about it in the section on the right --> and upload pics below!

UPLOAD PICTURES HERE!

TUESDAY TIP

17 thoughts on how humans think 

Most people are subject to narrow lanes of thinking, incomplete knowledge and a society that demands binary outcomes rather than probabilities, writes Morgan Housel. Housel offers 17 observations on human thinking, including how optimism and pessimism influence our actions and how we enjoy unique points of view only if they match ours.

FUN STUFF

Here's to the end of ski season and hopefully another Olympics coming to Utah!  This little video is just pure joy for skiers!  



Hope you have a great day.  You all do so much to make our city run, and run well!  

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Recent Posts

Wednesday May 11 2022 Update

Julie and I had an interesting experience last evening.  We were invited to attend a dinner to thank the many people and...